The holidays here early

The WSU Symphony Orchestra practicing inside Bryan Hall on Nov. 5, 2014.

The holidays are coming up, and the WSU Symphony Orchestra is here to remind you.

The orchestra will put on a free hourlong concert at 8 p.m. tomorrow in Bryan Hall, which will feature three movements from Brahms’ “Symphony No. 2.” and selected works from Tchaikovsky’s famous ballet, “The Nutcracker.”

“There’s a lot of different lessons to learn from these songs,” said Matt Aubin, WSU director of orchestras.

Many students will probably recognize parts of “Characteristic Dances,” which is composed of six well-known segments from “The Nutcracker,” Aubin said.

The performance will come to a close with “Waltz of the Flowers,” another popular piece from the “The Nutcracker.”

The WSU Symphony Orchestra will play “The Nutcracker” songs again when it comes time for their holiday concert planned for Dec. 6, he said.

“The chance to perform the songs more than once allows students to perform them even better,” he said.

Guest directing “The Nutcracker” songs will be Stephen Radcliffe, the conductor of the Seattle Youth Symphony, a prestigious band for talented high school-aged students.

“It’s nice for our students to get the chance to work with new people,” Aubin said.

Students will get a chance to work with Radcliffe again on Friday when he helps out with the WSU Orchestra Festival, an inaugural event where junior high and high school bands travel to campus to perform and take part in clinics to help them improve their skills.

Reporting by Dustin VandeHoef