Regents hold retreat in SeaTac

Board will hear updates on student conduct and financial trends

FORREST HOLT, Evergreen news editor

The Board of Regents, WSU’s highest governing body, began its retreat in SeaTac on Thursday night and will hold more meetings Friday.

The board will not vote on any policy changes, but will receive presentations and information on open educational resources, student conduct and financial trends.

Universities around the country have considered adopting “open educational resources,” most commonly in the form of widely available, low-cost textbooks compiled by collaborative groups of authors.

A WSU task force addressing student conduct policies postponed the unveiling of new policies in October. The university is currently operating under a set of “emergency rules,” in which students facing expulsion or a suspension of more than ten days are tried before a state government-appointed administrative law judge, rather than the student conduct board.

Phil Weiler, vice president for marketing and communication, said retreats give the regents more time to educate themselves on topics before they vote on them at later meetings.

The presentations and the information item are not publicly available online, and the retreat will not be live streamed like other regents meetings.

The regents will hold their next meeting March 1-2 in Tri-Cities.

FORREST HOLT, Evergreen news editor
Forrest Holt is a senior journalism and media production major. He is set to graduate in May 2018.

Regents hold retreat in SeaTac