Faculty music series presents “Menage a Trois” show

It’s not often that one is invited to watch a ménage à trois, but students this week are encouraged to do just that.

“Folie à Deux, Ménage à Trois,” the next performance in the long-running WSU School of Music Faculty Artist Series, will take place at 8 p.m. tomorrow in Bryan Hall.

Rather than seeing one permanent arrangement of faculty members on stage, students will be treated to a rotating recipe of different set-ups, artists, and instruments.

“There will be five different instruments, and you get to hear them all in different combinations of duos and trios,” said Ann Yasinitsky, clinical associate professor of music.

Show-goers can expect to hear five different songs, all performed by mixtures of the flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and piano.

The set list offers a wide-ranging selection of woodwind lead songs from different eras, reaching from 1889 all the way up to last year.

“We picked some songs that we’ve really enjoyed but haven’t gotten to play yet,” said Shannon Scott, assistant professor of clarinet and music.

Even though “Folie à Deux, Ménage à Trois” is billed as a woodwind instrument concert, the piano is a vital part of the finale, when faculty members will play a song by classical composer Claude Debussy.

“Although it was originally written for piano it transfers well to flute and clarinet,” Scott said.

Another stand out song will be the duo clarinet lead “Wood and Wind” by Carlos Velez.

“It’s a really neat song because you can’t always tell which clarinet is playing which part,” Scott said.

Yasinitsky, who’s played in more than 40 performances of the award-winning Broadway musical “Wicked,” said she still gets a thrill out of playing live.

“Every time you perform you get a unique feeling from the audience,” she said. “You walk out and you can feel the energy.”

Tickets to the event cost $10 for general admission, $5 for senior citizens and non-WSU students, and are free to WSU students with ID.

Reporting by Dustin VandeHoef