Cathy McMorris Rodgers: The right choice

This election day, those of us registered to vote in Washington’s 5th congressional district have the opportunity to continue a winning tradition by re-electing Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers.  

Mrs. Rodgers is a courageous and compassionate ally of the students here at Washington State and across the nation.  Being a first generation college graduate in her own family, Cathy worked in a McDonald’s drive-through to afford her education.

Her time in school instilled her with an intimate knowledge of the issues facing students today — namely, debt and loans.  To combat this growing problem and ensure equal access and opportunity for all students, Congresswoman Rodgers voted for the Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act of 2013.

This legislation both stabilized student loan interest rates and provided students nationwide the information needed to make fiscally responsible decisions.  Carrying on with her legacy of reaching out, Congresswoman Rodgers will be speaking to students at noon this Friday in Bryan Hall, room 308.

I would encourage any and all to attend this event so we may touch base with one of our biggest supporters on Capitol Hill, and likewise give her the opportunity to meet us.

Cathy is a champion for our student body, and I’ve become so enthralled with her work that I’ve volunteered for her campaign.

She sponsored both the Restoring Healthy Forests for Healthy Communities Act and The National Strategic Critical Minerals Production Act in order to develop job prospects for those in Eastern Washington while simultaneously maintaining its beauty.

Rodgers is an advocate for Fairchild Air Force Base and strong on defense.  The congresswoman is the founder and co-chair of the Congressional Military Family Caucus with a Democratic Representative from Georgia.

Furthermore, she introduced the Primary Care Workforce Access Improvement Act alongside Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA), ensuring high quality health care for those who would normally go without in rural and underserved communities.

But that’s not it — Rodgers has consistently reached across party lines, defeating the polarization facing today’s Congress, in her bids to ensure a better tomorrow for the people of Eastern Washington.

Congresswoman Rodgers sponsored nearly three percent of legislation signed into law by the President this Congress — an incredible testament to her tenacity when one considers there are 534 other members of Congress trying to do the same.

She’s as American as apple pie.  Cathy grew up on an orchard, and her hard work there has translated into her career representing the people of Washington.

She’s promoted legislation to preserve our environment, secure jobs for Eastern Washington, provided tremendous support to our students, faithfully supported our veterans, and fought routinely on behalf of Fairchild.

Rodgers is the highest-ranking woman in Congress.  However, it’s not just Capitol Hill that recognizes her capability and influence; her constituents here in Eastern Washington have re-elected her with more than 60 percent of the vote in 2008, 2010, and 2012.

As the National Journal noted, “her efforts aren’t just tolerated, they’re popular.”  And there’s good reason for that — her unwavering support of her Eastern Washington constituents and friendly approach to bipartisan measures in Congress has left us charmed.

On Nov. 4th, I’m voting to re-elect Rodgers.  With a focus on community, economy, and providing sensible solutions for students and veterans alike, Cathy McMorris Rodgers is the right choice.