Cougars lose season opener

Highlanders scored six runs in seventh inning to pull away from WSU

KYLE TUCKER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Outfielder JJ Hancock throwa out a runner against UW April 21, 2017 at Bailey-Brayton field.

RYAN BLAKE, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball lost its season opening game 8-1 against University of California, Riverside on Friday in Tempe, Arizona.

UC Riverside jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first. An error by sophomore third baseman Dillon Plew with the bases loaded scored the game’s first run. The Highlanders followed with a sacrifice fly to take a 2-0 lead.

Redshirt sophomore Isaac Mullins started on the mound for WSU. He pitched five innings allowing two runs, one earned on five hits and one walk. Mullins retired the last nine batters he faced.

The Cougars got on the board in the top of the fourth. Senior JJ Hancock doubled to right field and later scored on a single up the middle from senior Blake Clanton.

WSU would not score the rest of the game. They recorded six hits and four walks but struck out 10 times while stranding 10 runners on base.

UC Riverside held a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the seventh. The Highlanders expanded their lead with a six run inning. Redshirt sophomore Davis Baillie gave up a run on a double and a single to begin the inning before being replaced by sophomore Will Heward.

Heward allowed a double, single and walk to load the bases before giving up a grand slam to give UC Riverside an 8-1 lead. He retired the next two batters to finish the inning.

The Cougars continue their weekend in Tempe at 11 a.m. Saturday against University of Nebraska.