Balance is better

When the missed opportunity to indulge in a V8 appears, WSU dining halls can save students a slap to the forehead and offer a tastier and more balanced option.

This week, Hillside, Northside and Southside dining halls are participating in the “Balance is Better” program put on by WSU Dining Services.

Normally, campus celebrates National Nutrition Month in March, but Kyle Cance, dining services assistant director of marketing, said they wanted students to get a jump on the year.

“We want to focus on healthy eating earlier in the year rather than when students are already on their way to summer,” he said.

The goal is to help students learn and practice how to create a balanced meal using the resources available to them on campus, as well as when they no longer depend on their Residence Dining Account to eat.

Dining Services Dietician Chelsey Woods said, “We want to show the importance of nutrition and to help students learn about the options available to them.”

The event began at Hillside Café yesterday and then moved to Northside Cafe on Wednesday, and will end at Southside Café on Thursday.

Specialties today at Northside will feature baked fish tacos and multiple options including shrimp. Tomorrow the program will move to Southside and bring with it honey lime chicken skewers and Moroccan quinoa salad. Although these items are featured, they will not be the only new options available.

For those who like pizza, chefs will prepare whole wheat dough and encourage healthier toppings. Sandwiches will also follow suit with more emphasis on more nutritional bread choices, Woods said.

Students should strive for plates that contain 50 percent fruits and vegetables and equal parts of lean protein, dairy, and whole grains, she said.

Those wishing to not participate will also have access to most of their regular choices.

In upcoming months, Dining Services will continue its efforts with programs like “Natural” that introduces a gluten-free and allergy-friendly presence in the hot plates of Southside Cafe.

Food will be served during lunch hours from 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and an entire menu of the featured dishes is available online at dining.wsu.edu/events under the “Balance is Better” link.