‘Catfish’ creator visits campus

He’s made a life of fishing for things that aren’t as they seem, and now Nev Schulman will travel to Pullman to help students protect themselves from the depths of the social interweb and beyond.

The creator of MTV’s “Catfish” will present his perspective on social media, sexuality, and relationships at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the CUB Senior Ballroom.

When one has been deemed a “catfish” it means that they have pretended to be someone they aren’t over the internet, usually to pursue romantic relationships.

As the introduction to his show says, Schulman found himself duped by a woman he thought he was in love with, who turned out to be a completely different person.

He has since then made it his mission to reveal people who make a life from somebody else’s Facebook pictures, and trick another person into falling in love with them.

Schulman is now making his way to universities across the country to help students better understand his experiences with online interactions and encouraging them to live in real life.

Schulman was scheduled to appear on campus last year but had to cancel  last minute.

SEB Speakers Programmer Molly Hughes is optimistic that the event will attract a significant portion of the student body.

“Students were so excited about him before he canceled, that I wanted to give him the opportunity of coming back,” she said.

He will also promote his new book “In Real Life: Love, Lies, and Identity in the Digital Age” in which he talks about his recent scandal.

News recently came out accusing Schulman of punching a woman in 2006, though he denies it and said it was only in self-defense. While attending a dance celebrating LGBTQ college students, Schulman punched a woman, mistaking her for a man.

“I feel as though he is comfortable with telling his side of the story,” said Hughes. “I am hoping this will not hinder attendance numbers and students would be curious as to what he has to say about the subject.”

At the event on he will hold an open Q & A session after the talk, as well as a book signing and meet and greet.

The event is free to WSU students and faculty with ID and the public can purchase tickets at the door for $5. The doors to the event with open at 6 p.m. and students are encouraged to show up early to guarantee their spot for the presentation.