Cougs get routed by Wildcats in series finale

WSU allowed Arizona to rack up 18 hits in game while Cougars only managed five, struck out 10 times

Sophomore outfielder Danny Sinatro attempts to bunt the ball during a game against Saint Mary’s on March 8 at Bailey-Brayton Field. Sinatro has started 15 games this season, driving in two runs and racking up 10 hits in 46 at bats.

RYAN BLAKE, Evergreen reporter

A 9-2 defeat at the hands of University of Arizona on Sunday capped a seven-game road trip for WSU baseball in which the Cougars went 1-6.

Senior left-handed pitcher Cody Anderson started on the mound for WSU (5-14) in the series finale and entered the game as the Cougars’ most consistent starting pitcher with an ERA of 3.16.

The Wildcats’ offense got to Anderson early with three runs in the bottom of the first. After retiring the first two batters of the inning, Arizona (13-10) strung together four straight hits, including a double down the left field line by Wildcats freshman outfielder Blake Paugh that brought in two runs.

Arizona extended its early lead with four runs in the second inning. With runners on second and third and one out, a wild pitch followed by a double scored the first two runs of the inning. Arizona sophomore infielder Nick Quintana hit a two-run homer later on to make it a 7-0 game.

The Wildcats added one run each in the sixth and seventh innings. In total, Arizona had 18 hits and WSU used seven pitchers to get through the game.

A home run in the fifth by senior outfielder JJ Hancock and an RBI single by senior infielder/catcher Ryan Ramsower in the seventh were all the Cougars managed offensively. They recorded five hits and three walks while striking out 10 times.

WSU returns home for a three-game series with Arizona State University that is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. Thursday at Bailey-Brayton Field.