Center for Civic Engagement helps students help others

“What is civic engagement?” is the question I’m asked most often by students visiting the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE). I can give you some great definitions of civic engagement, but to truly understand what the CCE does, I have to share what civic engagement is all about at its core.

It’s about community. It’s about friendship, citizenship, social justice and helping our society flourish and grow. It’s about becoming a leader and a well-rounded individual. It’s about making a difference. It’s about being an agent of change. It’s about heart. It’s about Cougs caring. Civic engagement is all of these things and so much more.

Being civically engaged can take many different forms. A civically engaged person might go on community service projects, engage in civil dialogue with others on current issues, learn about social issues impacting our world, participate in our political system through voting or advocating, or join community boards.

You’re civically engaged when you work toward becoming a better citizen and an active member in your community. The CCE helps students do this every day.

Becoming civically engaged can be extremely rewarding both professionally and personally. Professionally, more and more employers are looking for candidates who have proven leadership skills, previous real-world experience, and who are well-rounded individuals.

Civic engagement is a great resume-builder that shows you have developed these highly sought-after skills. The CCE offers community projects that will help you build real-world experience from areas as diverse as education and animal science to marketing and design.

Personally, community service is a great way to give yourself an emotional boost, which is especially helpful and healthy for busy college students. On a project, you’ll see real change that you’ve made in the community. You’ll see what Cougs are capable of together.

Jeanene McGraw, a WSU student, shared with me her experience at Avalon Care Center, a senior center in Pullman: “Just being there, that brings a change. They’re happy. They feel that. It’s personal now.”

At the CCE, we work hard to make civic engagement experiences easy and accessible for students. One of the most popular ways for students to get involved in the community is through community service, including one-time service projects, which are available daily. These projects last from one to three hours each, and you can sign up for as many or few events as your schedule allows. Free transportation from campus is provided.

Students can also participate in long-term individual service with one of over 150 local community organizations, or students can work with the CCE to set up a group project for friends, club members or residence hall floor mates.

In addition to community service, the CCE holds many events throughout the year. Every semester, the CCE and Student Involvement hold a joint involvement fair. During the academic year, the CCE offers Public Square events where students can engage in conversations about current issues and Eco Adventure day trips in partnership with Outdoor Recreation.

The CCE also celebrates two annual awareness weeks and four national days of service. In spring, students can participate in exciting Alternative Spring Break trips around the world.

This year, I invite you to stop by our offices in CUB L45 and L48 to learn about how you can be civically engaged. Shelly Mills, a WSU Global Campus student, said it best: “It’s important that you reach out to people around you in your community, that you become involved with the things around you. You can only be as big as the things you leave behind for other people.”

I invite you to leave something behind for other people. I invite you to be a part of this community. I ask that when your friends wonder, “What is civic engagement?” you tell them it’s about Cougs caring and so much more.