The editor: Tell us your stories

Starting at 5 p.m. five days a week, my staff belongs to you; nine editors, a myriad of reporters and photojournalists, and a need to tell stories. All of us waiting for you to tell us what it is your newspaper should be covering.

If you have a story you want the world to hear, email or call me. My number and email address are in the pages of this paper daily. If you feel there has been an injustice done to you, the student body or the campus, stop by Murrow East 122 and let us know.

As journalists we are trained to track down stories and to ask questions, but we can’t be everywhere. Some of The Daily Evergreen’s best-received stories have come from anonymous tips or student emails about something that struck them as strange.

As readers, most newsrooms are locked to you. You can’t simply walk up to The New York Times features desk and pitch a story. The Washington Post editor-in-chief probably won’t take your call. I will.

My promise to you is that the door to your newsroom will remain open as long as we are here; my office will remain unlocked for as long as I sit in it. Stop by, and tell us what’s on your mind.

This semester we hope to tell the stories you bring to us in a way that is unique and interactive. To this end, The Daily Evergreen is excited to announce the creation of the Web and Mobile Department. This group of incredibly talented coders, editors and videographers will strive to accompany our print content with multimedia stories every week.

We understand, however, that those new story formats are not a substitute for hard facts and information. I, and the editors who run this paper, hold accuracy to the highest standard and are committed to producing a factually correct newspaper every day.

The trust between readers and editors is the lifeblood of any publication, and I am committed to building and maintaining that trust with you. Bring to this newsroom your ideas, your concerns and your critiques. Together we can maintain the high standard The Daily Evergreen has come to represent. Welcome back, and go Cougs.