SEB brings Hollywood blockbusters to WSU

The SEB film committee brings headlining movies to the CUB Auditorium every weekend for those who wish to push off homework just two and a half hours closer to Sunday.

Titles like “22 Jump Street,” “Lucy,” “The Purge: Anarchy,” and “Guardians of the Galaxy” are scheduled to play throughout the semester twice a day Fridays through Sundays in the CUB Auditorium.

The SEB film committee is able to bring the most recent movies to campus by working with an outside company, SEB Arts Programmer Sarah Schuerger said.

“We try to get movies in between being in theaters and on DVD in case people missed them in theaters or want to watch them again,” she said.

During the fall semester, the committee selects movies to correspond with the time of year, Schuerger said.  

However, during spring semester members of the committee watch trailers and vote on what shows they want to share with the student body. 

Selections stretch over a wide range of genres, with the goal to attract all students to at least one event. 

“There’s a lot of sci-fi and comedy sprinkled in with some rom coms (romantic comedies), and we’ve got some horror in there as well,” Associate Director of SEB Joey Towslee said.

In addition to the weekend film series, SEB will also be showing “American Winter” a documentary, as well as professional skier Warren Miller’s documentary “No Turning Back” on Dad’s weekend.

“Students really appreciate the diversity of the films that we show,” Towslee said.

Last weekend, the CUB featured the newest X-Men movie, and this weekend Disney’s “Maleficent” will play Friday through Sunday.

Running times are 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Sundays in the CUB Auditorium. Free popcorn is offered at every showing.

“We like to provide for our students, and everyone goes to movies,” Schuerger said. “It’s just something simple that we can bring to them.”

Admission is free for students with a Cougar Card, and tickets are $2 for guests. Children under three can get in for free with an admitted adult.

“The reason we do all of our events is because they are great for students, and the movies are great because they are free. You don’t have to rent or spend money to see them,” SEB Social Media Manager Erin McKiernan said. “It’s also in a real theater setting.”

SEB organizes other events on campus that range from concerts, to student art galleries, and an open mic competition.