Letter to freshmen: The start of your journey

WSU president believes community can provide emotional support, academic help for students

KIRK SCHULZ, WSU president

Welcome to campus for the beginning of one of the most rewarding and enjoyable years of your life! The next few years promise a wide range of exciting experiences for you as a member of our dynamic campus community.

To get your WSU journey off to a rousing start, I encourage you to participate in as many of our Week of Welcome (WOW) activities from Aug. 15 to 19 as your schedule allows. WOW provides numerous chances for you to meet other Cougs, get involved in WSU organizations and enjoy our campus amenities before the academic year officially kicks off. For many students, the people they meet and the relationships they form during WOW become the basis for lifelong friendships.

I am delighted that you have selected WSU for the next important steps in pursuit of your academic and personal goals. You are beginning a transformative process here during which you will grow in unimaginable ways: intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically, to name just a few.

As the semester opens, I also want to offer a few words of advice. I encourage you to take advantage of all of the resources and possibilities the university offers —both inside and outside the classroom. Dive deep into your interests through classwork, scholarship and hands-on research or field experiences. Get involved in campus organizations. Volunteer for worthy causes.

By immersing yourself in WSU in these ways you’ll discover that our university provides nearly limitless opportunities for you to become the person you’ve always aspired to be. Our alumni often say WSU was the launching pad for achieving their career and life success.

Equally important, by choosing WSU to pursue a college degree, you are joining an incredibly supportive and nurturing Cougar community — a community dedicated to your success. That means help is always just an email, phone call or short walk away. Whether you need a hand with a class or assistance with sorting out a life challenge, our community is ready and willing to respond to your needs. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in the days and weeks to come. And I invite you to follow me on Twitter: @WSU_Cougar_Pres. I use Twitter to regularly stay in touch with Cougs around the world. You can also email me at [email protected] if you have questions or need help in solving a problem.

Embrace the adventure that awaits. We will support you, challenge you and ultimately boost you toward your goals. We’re thrilled that you’re here.

Go Cougs!