WSU baseball swept by Ducks

Third baseman Nick Tanielu throws the ball toward first bee to out an Oregon player during the top of the third inning during a game against the Ducks at PK Park in Eugene, Ore., April 19. 

The scores grew closer and closer as the series progressed, but the WSU Cougars still could not win a game against the Oregon Ducks this weekend. A 2-1 victory sealed a series sweep for the Ducks as their winning streak grew to nine games. 

An eventful sixth inning decided Saturday’s matchup. Both teams scored all their runs in that inning, and it was the Ducks who came out with the most by the end of it. The top half of the inning started off with a bang as junior P.J. Jones led off with a single and advanced to third base on a double by junior Yale Rosen. The first run came across when redshirt sophomore Nick Tanielu grounded out to the shortstop, but the Cougars could not push anyone else across the plate against Oregon starter Trent Paddon. 

The lone WSU run looked like it would hold up in the bottom half of the sixth, but a two-out rally made sure it did not. A leadoff walk to junior Shaun Chase would haunt senior Jason Monda, who started for the Cougars. Chase scored on a two-out double by freshman A.J. Balta, which tied the score. Senior Tyler Baumgartner singled to bring in Balta for the go-ahead run. 

The starters’ pitching duel ended after six full innings. The five scoreless frames that both Paddon and Monda put up were mirrored by more zeroes after the sixth inning. Both bullpens seemed intent on keeping their team within reach of the lead, and ultimately, the Cougar bats faltered. 

Oregon relievers junior Jordan Spencer and sophomore Garrett Cleavinger surrendered only two hits total. The Cougars’ best chance to rally came in the eighth against Spencer, who hit pinch-hitter Michael Monda with a pitch to begin the inning. Jones grounded out to move Monda into scoring position, but Rosen struck out after that for the second out. Tanielu was intentionally walked to bring up freshman Luke Stratman, who did hit a single to center field; however, Tanielu was thrown out at second by the center fielder to end the rally. 

The Cougars, with a record of 17-19, will play the Gonzaga Bulldogs again on Tuesday at Bailey-Brayton Field.