Fill the Pullman campus with local artwork

More work from local artists should fill the blanks spaces of WSU, providing a space where their art is well represented

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

It’s important to have art around that represents the local community as well as the creativity of WSU students. Murals decorating the many empty walls around campus would be just one improvement to make the Pullman campus better represent local artists.

ALIVIA HILLER, Evergreen columnist

Across campus, towering empty walls fit to be decorated have remained barren for years. WSU should take advantage of this open space and decorate them with the work of local and student artists.

Art simply makes any place more aesthetically pleasing. WSU has some beautiful architecture, but it comes off as uniform, even mundane, after seeing it on a regular basis. The university’s brick and pale concrete scheme is attractive and practical. That doesn’t mean it needs uniformity throughout campus.

Murals or similar designs would create a visual change of pace for those going from one building to the next but wouldn’t obstruct anyone.

Incorporating local artists brings a community together and are achievements to take pride in. Last fall there was an art show at Beasley Coliseum that brought students and community members together. It allowed people from all over to share their talents and passions in an expressive way, further connecting the WSU-Pullman community.

Lori Lewis, an administrative assistant for the Neill Public Library, knows how these events connect people and create change.

“[It] sparks a conversation between all walks of life,” Lewis said.

On our campus, we have many forms of art — from sculptures to architecture. We see it all around us. But if the campus is to express both creativity and a connection to the community, we need to invest in local artists more often, especially when our community is full of artistic talent.

On display at the Neill Public Library is the work of David Coyle, a Pullman Transit bus driver, who makes sculptures using recycled materials. His artwork is just one of many beautiful pieces that could be added onto campus.

“A great number of people have a wide range of talent. There are many different accounts of people in [the] community,” Lewis said. “You never know who you might run into or the talents they have hidden within.”

Artists may not always feel comfortable sharing their work in public, but that’s why WSU needs to provide a welcoming environment to showcase their skills and talent.

It’s important to have a beautiful campus that keeps alumni coming back and appeals to more people. Public art on campus adds meaning, character and uniqueness to the WSU-Pullman community. These works stand the test of time and provide a lasting impact on the community, reflecting that community’s values.