Brock Eager ready for NCAA West Regionals

Brock Eager competes in the hammer throw at the Pac-12 Championships on May 13 at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.

CHRIS ARNESON, Evergreen columnist

Brock Eager chuckles in the face of Oregon’s bleak weather.

Eager, who took first place in the hammer throw competition at the Pac-12 Championships May 13 at Hayward Field on campus of the University of Oregon, said he has “thrown in the rain [his] whole life.”

The redshirt sophomore had an interesting path to Pullman. Originally, Eager gave a verbal commitment to the University of Idaho with coaches Julie Taylor and Wayne Phipps, current WSU coaches.

“They said ‘we are moving to Washington State University and want you to come with us’ and I trusted them,” Eager said of his journey on becoming a Cougar. “It is crazy that I got here and I am very glad I did.”

In regards to his track and field resume, Eager is far from lacking in content.

“I have been throwing the shot put and disc since I was like 5-years-old and had those pretty well down before I started the hammer,” Eager said.

However, the transition to the hammer throw was certainly not the smoothest, he said.

“The hammer is a very awkward movement,” Eager said. “You want your body to go into a position that doesn’t feel right or comfortable. Doing that over and over until it does feel comfortable and being able to add speed is very complicated.”

As far as what he plans to do once this track and field season crosses the finish line, Eager is looking forward to relaxing. He plans on spending some time at home, where he grew up in Renton and welcomes the idea of watching some TV to cool down from the long grind of the season.

“I will probably take four weeks completely off to recover,” Eager said. “It gives you that drive to want to throw again, it gives you that hunger so you won’t burn out.”

Eager said he didn’t play many other sports, like football, in high school but he did play in seventh grade.

“Football might have been fun, but it was definitely worth it to be where I am now,” Eager admits. “My high school coach talked to me all the time because he wanted me on the football team.”

With regards to what the remainder of WSU’s 2017 Track and Field season holds, Eager is anything but anxious. He’s “eager” to bring his competition to the next level.

Austin, Texas, will play host to the NCAA West Regionals beginning Thursday and running through Saturday. Unfortunately, rain is not in the forecast but that isn’t enough to stop Eager from showcasing his talent.

“[I am] ready for what’s going to come,” Eager said. “Hopefully, I will have a big end to my season.”