Exercise is important for students’ health

WSU women’s varsity rowing team attempts to beat Gonzaga in a race at the Snake River on March 25.

RIDGE PETERSON, Evergreen columnist

College life is stressful. Between studying, homework, visiting friends, working and getting enough sleep, it can be difficult to stay in shape. Nonetheless, exercise is one of the most important things that you can do when you are at school.

First of all, doing a bit of aerobic exercise can actually help you study. Matt Atwell is the coordinator of fitness instruction at the Chinook Services Building, which opened their fitness facilities this month.

Atwell said that raising your heart rate releases a chemical into your brain called Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor 1 (BDNF-1) that helps you retain new knowledge. Atwell said that numerous studies have been done that show those who do a workout before studying tend to remember more details afterward.

“If you’re serious about getting a good education and getting good grades while you’re here,” Atwell said, “the science is out there, you need to exercise.”

On top of making you a better student, being fit provides mental, emotional and physical health benefits, Clinical Assistant Professor of Health and Fitness Phillip Morgan said.

“If exercise were a pill, it would be called the magic drug,” Morgan said.

Morgan said that those who stay fit during their younger years are less likely to develop mental illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s and dementia, when they are older.

Working out relieves stress, Morgan said. Doing aerobic exercise breaks down cortisol, a hormone released by your body as part of the “flight or fight” response during stressful situations. Given the stress and anxiety that college life brings, doing a workout can help you relax.

WSU offers a variety of programs to get students involved in fitness. Atwell said that about 98 percent of students use at least one UREC program or facility during their time at WSU. In addition to the weight room and other facilities open to students, the UREC offers a variety of classes, trips and sport clubs for students to get involved in.

In addition to all the health benefits that staying active offers, being involved in these activities also can build one’s social and personal life as well.

Speaking from my experience being a member of a club sports team here at WSU, I found that being involved in student recreation has not only motivated me to stay active, but has made me be a more outgoing and social individual by providing me with a group of friends and teammates.

Every student pays for UREC facilities as part of their tuition — so you’re paying for it whether you use it or not. This means that there is no additional cost to getting involved.

There are tons of opportunities for students to get exercise and stay fit here at WSU, so there is no excuse to not get a workout. Exercise is one of the best habits a young person can develop. Without a doubt, the benefits of living a healthy and active life far outweigh the time and effort it requires. Every student should get involved because there is something here for everyone.