WSU football lights up scoreboard in spring game

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Hilinski completed 26 of 36 passes for 295 yards and ran for a score in Saturday’s spring game.

The 2017 Crimson and Gray spring game was filled with strong performances from both familiar and fresh faces.

The Crimson team rolled to a 35-10 victory over the Gray squad as many players showed their positional prowess for the WSU football team.

Redshirt senior quarterback Luke Falk led team Crimson through the air. The incumbent starter threw for 191 yards with two touchdowns on 30 passes.

“Overall, I thought we did a really good job,” Falk said. “I think guys really did what we’ve done in practice and came out here and played loose and had a good time.”

While Falk and team Crimson cruised to a blowout victory, his backup, redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Hilinski, made a few offensive splashes for team Gray.

The Claremont, California, native completed 26 of 36 attempts for 295 yards. Hilinski also accounted for the Gray team’s only touchdown of the game, as he scampered for a six-yard score in the third quarter.

In a game that featured 695 combined passing yards, the receiving corps naturally put up some eye-catching numbers.

Sophomore wideout Dezmon Patmon posted seven catches for 69 yards for team Crimson, including a 43-yard touchdown catch from Falk late in the second quarter.

“I thought Patmon started out slow, but heated up as we went on,” Head Coach Mike Leach said. “He’s had a really good spring. Even though he did some good things today, he had an even better spring than that.”

Joining Patmon on the list of receiving standouts from Saturday were redshirt sophomore running back James Williams, redshirt sophomore wide receiver Brandon Arconado and sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Johnson-Mack.

Williams completed 10 catches for 112 yards on the day. On top of his receiving performance, Williams, who played snaps for both teams, rushed five times for 31 yards, including a four-yard touchdown run to get team Crimson on the board in the first quarter.

Arconado took a redshirt season in 2016, but started 2017 with a bang for team Crimson. The Bishop Amat High School product caught eight passes for 96 yards on the day, the third-most receiving yards in the game.

Johnson-Mack, a sophomore from Belle Glade, Florida, caught seven balls for 101 yards for team Gray and led all wide receivers in yards gained. Johnson-Mack’s 101 yards in the game are nearly equal to half of his receiving total from the 2016 season.

On the defensive side of the ball, the pass rush made its presence known. There were four total sacks in the game, two of them by redshirt senior defensive lineman Daniel Ekuale for team Crimson. Ekuale added a fumble recovery to his statistics for the game.

“I feel good about my senior year,” Ekuale said. “Like I said, I’ve got to be productive in the front line. I’ve got to make plays this year. It’s my last year, I’ve got to make it count.”

Sophomore defensive back Hayden Schmidt was also a force on the defensive side of the ball for team Crimson. The Mount Vernon High School graduate had two interceptions on the day.

After the game, Leach had criticisms for both sides of the ball, but overall said he thought it was a good scrimmage.

Ekuale said WSU’s experience gives the Cougars a chance to improve on their 17 wins over the past two seasons this fall.

“I think this is the first time WSU has had this many seniors, but I think we feel good about ourselves, about the seniors. I think we can make something happen this year.”

The team will wrap up spring practices on Tuesday at Martin Stadium. The Cougars open their season against Montana State on Sept. 2 at home.