Freshman Plew finding early collegiate success on the field

Often batting in the leadoff spot for the WSU baseball team and starting as the primary second baseman, freshman Dillon Plew stands out on the diamond with his bat and fielding range.

The Kennewick native is often strictly recognized for the talents he displays on the Bailey-Brayton Field turf, but Plew’s athletic background stretches back to his junior and senior high school days. After playing a grade level up through Cal Ripken Baseball in sixth, seventh and eighth grade, Plew became a three-sport athlete at Kennewick High School (KHS).

Quarterbacking the KHS football team his senior year, Plew guided the Lions to the 3A state quarterfinals. Over on the hardwood, Plew helped the boys’ basketball team take home the Mid-Columbia Conference (MCC) championship.

“It was super impressive how good he was at baseball, considering he was playing huge roles on the football and basketball team as well,” said Tanner Newman, a family friend and KHS graduate.

Plew finished off his high school tenure on the diamond, where he was named the MCC Player of the Year and received 3A All-State honors after hitting .473 with seven doubles, 23 RBI and 23 runs scored. Plew also carried a .584 on-base percentage.

In total, Plew racked up 10 varsity letters at KHS, three apiece in football and basketball and four in baseball. He also played two years of summer league baseball for the Kennewick Outlaws and the Senior Bandits.

Plew said his three-sport background helped him become the WSU baseball player he is today.

“There [are] different traits I learned from the sports that have helped me,” he said. “For example, by playing quarterback, I think it helped me emerge as a leader.”

Despite excelling in three sports in high school, it was evident Plew had a future in baseball.

“[Plew] is easily the best hitter I have ever played against,” high school opponent Kaden Enriquez said. “It seemed like every time he came up to bat, he was already on base.”

Toward the end of his senior year, Plew signed a letter of intent with WSU. He also had offers from Washington, Oregon, Gonzaga and other schools along the West Coast. Plew was ranked as the fourth best prospect in Washington by maxpreps.com during his senior season.

While playing for the Outlaws this past summer, Plew traveled with his team to Shelby, North Carolina, for the American Legion World Series (ALWS) after winning the Northwest Region.

“Playing there was my first time playing in front of a big crowd and a lot of pressure,” Plew said.

Following a run to the ALWS, Plew headed off to Pullman for fall practice. He found out quickly that he would not be playing shortstop, his natural position. Head Coach Marty Lees plugged him in at second base, a position Plew never previously played.

“It was different from the second base side of the field,” Plew said. “Reading the ball off of the bat took a while to get used to.”

Plew had to immediately adjust to the division-one level of baseball and said the college game is “a lot faster in every aspect.”

Entering this weekend’s Apple Cup matchup with Washington in Pullman, Plew has taken on the adjustment in stride. Plew’s .440 on-base percentage is 12th best nationally among freshman and his 23 walks are the sixth most in the Pac-12.

“I have always felt like I know what I want to hit,” Plew said. “I have a good feel of what my strike zone is.”

Although he has already taken on a large role at WSU, Plew said he wants to continue to build on his success throughout the rest of his college career and enjoy his time in Pullman.

“I just come out and play baseball,” Plew said. “I guess I am doing alright.”