CougsGive will raise funds for WSU organizations

Donors can start giving desired amount of money at 9 p.m. today

COURTESY OF JESSICA BILLINGS

Jessica Billings, WSU director of annual giving, says there are multiple ways alumni, students and others can donate to WSU.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

WSU Giving Day, also known as CougsGive, will fundraise for WSU colleges, departments and organizations April 10.

Giving Day includes colleges and organizations, such as the Murrow College of Communication, the Cougar Marching Band, the College of Education and the WSU Alumni Association.

ASWSU President Savannah Rogers said Giving Day is an annual event that happens in April to raise awareness for different types of programs on campus. Each organization will try to reach their set goal.

She said one can donate as much as they want. One can also donate for any of the organizations participating.

Those interested can visit the CougsGive website.

Jessica Billings, WSU Foundation’s director of annual giving, said Giving Day will start to collect donations at 9 p.m. tonight.

“We are embarking on our fifth Cougs Giving Day,” she said. “That peer-to-peer interaction really engages the excitement for students.”

Billings said there are other areas for people to donate that would directly go to the organization.

She said the WSU Alumni Association will receive a donation with any membership renewal or new membership.

The Cougar Athletic Fund will accept donations if they go toward athletics.

“If there is not a fund on the CougsGive.wsu.edu platform that someone sees and they’d like to make sure they support that,” Billings said, “getting through the main WSU website is another great way to get involved.”

She said CougsGive has a need for support throughout the years. Students, faculty and locals can get involved with philanthropy.

Billings said Cougs Giving Day is a one-day campaign, but the main goal is to have donations come in throughout the year.

“This really helps us meet our greatest area of needs,” she said. “Anywhere from student scholarship to research, anything in the name of student success.”

Rogers said some organizations on the website have a specific cause and state where the money will go.

“At least as of right now, you can just donate,” Rogers said. “You can donate, specifically towards those areas.”