WSU freshman fulfills his dream to run with team USA

WSU freshman cross country runner Justin Janke has qualified and been selected to compete on the USA U20 men’s team in the North America, Central America and Caribbean Athletic Association (NACAC) Cross Country Championships on March 4 in Boca Raton, Florida.

On Feb. 4 at the USA Junior Cross Country Championships, Janke placed eighth in the 8,000 meter competition, finishing two places shy of qualifying for the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Cross Country Championships in Uganda. Running through mud and almost a foot of snow on a golf course filled with slopes, Janke had to put forth his best effort in Bend, Oregon.

“[The USA Junior Cross Country Championship] was absolutely insane,” Janke said. “It was one of those things where I really had to pay attention. It was very mentally demanding.”

Although Janke came up short to qualify for the World Cross Country Championships, he did qualify to represent the U20 men’s team to compete in a six-kilometer competition in Florida this weekend.

The invitation to join the USA U20 team came with many benefits, some of which even surprised Janke.

“It was breathtaking. Like this is the real stuff — the gear of my country,” he said. “I can’t believe that I get the chance to do this.”

However, Janke’s success has not been a surprise. The freshman from Spokane attended North Central High School where he won three individual state titles on top of several team achievements.

Janke broke the school record for the mile during his senior year, with a time of four minutes and seven seconds. He believes he can achieve a better time at WSU.

“I was really happy to be able to break the record,” Janke said, “but I am excited to get back on the track to break that record.”

On top of Janke’s success with track and cross country, Janke has maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout his educational career, entering WSU with 17 credits from Advanced Placement courses he took in high school.

Janke received scholarships from all over the country and took the opportunity to go on all of his official visits, saving WSU for last.

Janke’s family and hometown representation became key factors as to why he chose WSU. As the oldest of three siblings, Janke has been able to stay close to his family and remain a role model to his two younger sisters, who are also starting to compete in track and cross country.

“I decided that I did not want to be that far away from home. If I need, I can always head back at moment’s notice,” Janke said. “I try my best to be a good brother, and it’s been cool to be able to see them grow up.”

Janke has multiple family members who were state champions in cross country and track in high school, some of who went on to run at the collegiate level.

He gives credit to his older cousins for being mentors he could watch at state competitions. They inspired him to run, Janke said.

After a long recruitment process, WSU has proven to be the right choice for Janke, as he has talented athletes to train with every day and people with who he can easily get along.

“The team dynamic was one of the big things I was looking for when I came here,” Janke said. “Not only are they a group of great guys, but they are hard workers too.”

Janke was also intrigued by the fact that he could major in mechanical engineering at WSU. He is interested in material sciences and believes he is at the right school to fulfill his academic goals. Eventually, Janke would love to work at Nike and design running shoes.

“That’d be so cool to be able to give back that way, as somebody who loves running and who has had experience,” he said.

Janke prepares to head to Florida with the mindset of finishing in the top three.

“I am grateful for this opportunity, and for my coaches and teammates and everybody that has helped get me here,” he said. “This has been my dream for quite a while.”