Students receive some puppy love on Valentine’s Day

Oly, a golden retriever, is a Prescription Pets dog who visits hospitals and senior centers.

A soul mate is a person who offers unconditional love when there is an instant connection between two beings. Who can offer that feeling better than a heartwarming animal?

The SEB and ASWSU brought smiles and joy to everyone on campus, regardless of how Cougs chose to spend this Singles Awareness/Couple Obligation Day, nationally known as Valentine’s Day.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”242c1f2e-f340-11e6-87db-578d49b8cf31″}}

Meghann Ferguson, ASWSU student life director, worked with the SEB Speakers’ Programmer Ally McGuire to bring puppy affection to campus in an event called “Puppy Booth.” They began the planning process a few months ago.

“We understand that Valentine’s Day isn’t everyone’s favorite holiday,” Ferguson said, “so we wanted to provide an activity for all students to feel the comfort of puppy love.”

The pair’s original idea was to bring dogs from the Whitman County Humane Society to mingle with students, but they instead invited corgi Cayenne Schulz, President Kirk Schulz’s dog, and golden retriever Oly from Prescription Pets.

The line-up to pet each dog exceeded expectations and averaged about 30 students throughout the entire event time, encouraging SEB to try out similar events in the future, Ferguson said.

Ferguson said she loves that her job allows her to interact with the student body in events like this.

“The students seemed to love the event,” Ferguson said.

WSU students who stopped by the “Puppy Booth” contributed $42.01 in donations for the Whitman County Humane Society.

Reporting by Latisha Jensen