Student DJs take the stage

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”ccb2b81e-edb5-11e6-ac33-17b9e2b1ed0b”}}

SEB is bringing the Hip-Hop Arts Festival – a mix of interaction, performers and food – to campus, and a chance to hear student DJs perform their best in a competition.

Sarah Sehrt, sophomore and spotlight programmer, co-planned the event knowing she wanted it to be a hip-hop festival, but she could not think of enough ideas to complete it. The collaboration with an arts programmer brought in a new perspective, making it the Hip-Hop Arts Festival.

The SEB discovered performers like Massive Monkees, a 28-member b-boy crew, and hip-hop violinist Josh Vietti when the SEB attended the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA), where colleges can reach out to performers and bring them to campus.

“We were like ‘How do we bring a hip-hop violinist to an event?’ ” Sehrt said. “We could not think of an event for him, then it worked out perfectly with the festival.”

Planning events like these come naturally to Sehrt, she said. She starts with one big idea and then compiles many small ideas together over time. Once they had the CUB Senior Ballroom reserved, everything else fell into place, Sehrt said.

“It all went very smoothly,” Sehrt said. “Everyone was able to make it, we got great deals on everything. I hope people appreciate the event.”

The only time Sehrt has seen performers come to campus is with concerts, which is what makes this event special. It is more interactive than just watching performers, she said.

The event will have a waffle sundae bar with personalized waffle makers that include themes ranging from simple hearts to Star Wars. Toppings include chocolate sauce, ice cream, powdered sugar, maraschino cherries and whipped cream, Sehrt said.

Ali Ruther, sophomore arts programmer, worked with Sehrt to plan the event and wanted to bring dancers into the mix. Ruther said she especially enjoys watching break-dancers.

“When you have two different perspectives working on the event, we can bounce ideas off of each other,” Ruther said. “There’s a lot of stuff going on at the same time.”

The planning and contacting of the artists and performers began before winter break.

At the festival, student DJs will compete for the chance to win a $300 prize, Ruther said.

“I think it’s a good opportunity to meet new people and see performances they wouldn’t normally see,” Ruther said.

Jordan Rayray, senior and criminal justice major, is showcasing his DJ skills for the first time in a competitive setting.

“My music selection is diverse, but I always have love for R&B, hip-hop and jazz,” Rayray said. “I’m a little nervous about the whole thing, but I know as soon as I drop my first song that feeling is going to go away.”

He found out about the event through flyers his friends received. Rayray’s friends encouraged him to participate. In order to prepare for the live DJ battle, Rayray has been working with mentors to perfect his sets.

“I love DJ-ing,” Rayray said, “and as long as I have that love, I’m going to continue to work and perfect my craft.”

The Hip-Hop Arts Festival is from 8 – 11 p.m. on Feb. 9 in the CUB Senior Ballroom.