Studying abroad is appealing to employers

Students develop communication skills while studying abroad.

GEANA JAVIER, Evergreen columnist

Traveling is one of the best experiences a young person can undertake. It enriches one’s life in a way that is unparalleled by anything someone could learn by staying complacent.

In the modern age of globalization, it’s important for American college students to experience other cultures, languages and worldviews.

According to the Pew Research Center, today’s American population is more ethnically and racially diverse than ever. Due to the increasingly changing demographic, it’s beneficial for students to cultivate characteristics like acceptance and openness.

Students who study abroad have the opportunity to make friends with people who grew up in a different country, perhaps with varying religions, interests and political views. Engaging in such friendships helps to increase cultural tolerance.

Experiencing life overseas can help students see other humans across the world are not so different after all.

What’s the end goal of attending college? For most of us, it’s to get a job. We put in years of hard work for that degree that will help us get hired.

Studying abroad can make students more attractive to future employers, Interim Director of WSU Global Services Christine Oakley said.

“How a student articulates their experience, what they got from it and how they might benefit the corporation” are all keys to marketing a study abroad experience to employers, she said.

Ninety seven percent of students who studied abroad found employment within a year after graduation, while “only 49 percent of college graduates found employment in the same period,” according to a study conducted by University of California, Merced.

Employers desire workers who are critical thinkers, adaptable and effective at communicating. All of those skills are strengthened while studying abroad.

When students step out of their comfort zones, they must think critically and adapt. Events become unpredictable in a new place. Learning to keep calm, adjust and react accordingly is an essential life skill.

Students are also pushed to sharpen their communication skills while studying abroad. Depending on the country, the native language may not be English. Even in English-speaking countries, the dialogue could be different.

“You can learn how to navigate your way through a country, even if you don’t fully know the language,” Oakley said. “That’s an important skill.”

WSU recognizes the importance of the skill set learned by studying abroad.

A Global Leadership Certificate is an academic credential that can be achieved through studying abroad. According to the Office of International Programs, this certificate “enhances your marketability in an increasingly international job market.”

Studying abroad shouldn’t be disregarded because of financial reasons.

“One of the sad things that we’ve seen, that our education abroad providers have seen, is that students don’t apply for scholarships,” she said.

Oakley maintains that studying abroad can sometimes be cheaper than tuition at WSU, depending on the program. It is a common misconception amongst students that these experiences will break the bank.

Studying abroad helps to develop a prowess that is appealing to future employers. The experiences and memories made while overseas can make a lasting impression on one’s life.

Geana Javier is a sophomore economics major from Seattle. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.