Athlete of the Week: Pia Timmer

Freshman from Germany leads Cougars with 86 kills

Freshman outside hitter Pia Timmer spikes the ball against the Liberty University on Saturday in Bohler Gym.

HSING-HAN CHEN | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

SAM GRANT, Evergreen reporter

The Daily Evergreen’s athlete of the week is WSU volleyball freshman outside hitter Pia Timmer.

Timmer helped lead the Cougars to a three-game sweep over the opponents this weekend at the Cougar Challenge, a volleyball tournament held at WSU’s Bohler Gym. She had 32 kills over the three games leading the Cougars to an 8-1 record.

Among the top three kill leaders all weekend, Timmer earned over one-third of her season kills in three matches.

The Cougars opened the weekend against Idaho State, and WSU swept them in three sets: 25-18, 25-19, 25-13.

Timmer finished the game with 12 kills, second-most for the team, and zero errors out of 18 total attacks. She posted a hitting percentage to a .667, which was the highest for the team.

Later Friday night, the Cougars faced UT Arlington and won three sets in a row: 25-20, 25-13, 25-14. Timmer lead the way for the Cougars with eight kills 11 points and a .467 hitting percentage.

The final match of the weekend landed on Saturday as the Cougars swept Liberty with set scores of 25-18, 25-19 and 25-21.

Timmer lead the way once again, bringing in nine kills on 27 total attacks with five errors posting a hitting percentage of .148.

The sweep helped WSU to extend its win streak to seven games in a row. The Cougars look to continue their streak as they move on to the UTRGV Tournament followed by a match against the No. 10 University of Washington to open Pac-12 play.

As a freshman, Timmer had played a pivotal role for how new she is to the team. She leads the team with 86 kills on the season. She also has 49 digs, 13 blocks and a hitting percentage of .216.

From Emlichheim, Germany, Timmer earned 23 total MVP medals for her volleyball performance. She helped lead her team to a second-place finish in the Under-18 Championships of Germany just over a year ago. Along with her status at WSU, she is a member of the club program SCU Emlichheim in Germany.