Regular sex increases sexual expression

There are many health benefits to having regular sex, such as improved self-esteem and healthier-looking skin.

EMILY HOGAN, Evergreen columnist

Beginning with Elvis Presley swinging his hips in 1956, sexual expression was publicized. The way he danced was perceived as obscene and overtly sexual, but Elvis’ dancing is modest in comparison to what we see on television today.

This revolution was not one in which people’s actions regarding sex changed – it was a revolution of the perceptions of sex. The very way we, as a society, think about sex began to change.

Laurie Nelson, a WSU professor of human sexuality and psychology of gender, wrote in an email that our awareness of our own sexuality develops at a young age through the messages we receive about gender roles, relationships and body image.

In 1956, we entered an era of sexual expression, and while that was over 60 years ago, this age of sexual expression lives on.

The continuation of sexual expression can be seen through our music, movies and even the topics that are considered appropriate for public discussion.

Sexual expression has surpassed simply being a part of our media. It also shows in our actions by way of sexual experimentation before marriage.

Having regular sex can be very beneficial, according to Mirror, an online magazine in the UK, resulting in healthier-looking skin, a stronger immune system, a longer lifespan and improved self-esteem. Having regular sex can even help fight depression, cure headaches, decrease stress and help you sleep.

Aside from these health benefits, certain groups, especially women and the LGBTQ community, have benefited from society’s growing approval of sex.

These groups, especially women, continue to be reprimanded for their sexual expression, just not as much as they used to be. Men were setting the standards for female sexuality, so they were held to men’s standards and were not allowed their own, which still creates a double standard in today’s society.

“Women experience more shame and guilt around sexuality than most men do,” Nelson wrote.

In the past, we lived in a world where sexual expression was oppressed. This revolution has given women and the LGBTQ community more power over their bodies and their own sexuality.

This stigmatization in combination with individuals refraining from sexual intercourse left many people incapable of recognizing their sexual preferences.

“There is a tremendous amount of diversity in human sexuality,” Nelson wrote. “It is important for people to be mindful of all aspects of their gender identity, sexual orientation and desire for sexual experiences.”

Exploring sexuality allows people to discover their sexual preferences – especially their likes and dislikes. If a person does not explore their sexuality before marriage, they may not have a chance to realize and learn about their own sexuality.

Emily Hogan is a freshman genetics and cell biology major from Harrington, Delaware. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.