Flynn has been unsurprisingly impressive as a freshman

Going in to WSU freshman guard Malachi Flynn’s senior year of high school, The Seattle Times posted a list of the top 25 high school recruits in the Seattle-Tacoma area based on their potential to play and succeed at the division one level.

Among those on the list were Garfield High School standout guard Tramaine Isabell (Drexel), guard Dejounte Murray (University of Washington and now San Antonio Spur) and forward David Crisp (University of Washington). The rankings even included less-regarded players with a ton of potential, such as Peninsula High School guard JaQuori McLaughlin (Oregon State) and Garfield High guard Jashaun Agosto (LIU Brooklyn).

But on this hyped up list, Flynn was nowhere to be seen, not even on the TNT All-State predictions.

Early in high school, Flynn, a graduate of Bellarmine Prep High School, accepted a scholarship to play basketball at Pacific University. Because of minor complications and the school losing its head coach due to an array of program-related violations, Flynn decided to de-commit from the school and reopen his recruitment.

Fellow Curtis High School standout and now Eastern Washington football student-athlete Jayson Williams called Flynn’s decision “a very smart move,” and one that “worked out perfectly.”

Williams competed against Flynn in AAU basketball, and the mutual respect between the two is easily noticeable as they both are starting to succeed early in their college careers. The Curtis High versus Bellarmine Prep matchup in high school every year was something unique.

Flynn laughed at the memory of those games.

“The energy just gets you on another level,” Flynn said, referring to his performances in that atmosphere.

But shortly after, invitations to camps, scholarship offers and college interest started to come his way.

A regular starter for the Cougars as a freshman, it’s a wonder he flew under the radar. Some said he was undersized, but other 6-foot point guards, such as Crisp and McLaughlin, were ranked in ESPN’s Top-100 list of recruits. There had to be more to it.

Williams said that he was always “overlooked by his teammates (AAU) and only had recognition within Washington.” However, Flynn saw it all. He knew what people were saying, he read the articles predicting minimal stat lines and minimal scholarship offers.

This just added fuel to the fire for the rising point guard, giving him “nothing but more motivation” to continue to play his game. As a result, Flynn took his game to another level in his senior year of high school.

Flynn averaged 29.7 points per game in the regular season to go along with six rebounds and four assists per game, and shot an impressive 88 percent from the free throw line. With preparation for outings like this, Flynn went on to break the Bellarmine single season scoring record with 743 points, taking the reins from current NBA guard and former McDonald’s All-American Avery Bradley.

Flynn carried the team to a 12-0 league record and led them to a spot in the postseason. Finally, offers from bigger community colleges were rolling in. But this was not enough for Flynn.

The traditional saying, “Big-time players make big-time plays in big-time games,” was an understatement for Flynn in the state tournament his senior year. Although Bellarmine fell in the 4A regional playoffs, Flynn again elevated his performance, averaging 37 points per game and breaking the tournament scoring record.

Bellarmine’s shifty point guard with great handles and a consistent shot from all ranges was finally getting it done on the big stage. Regular season rumors of Flynn being “only an outside shooter” disappeared throughout the tournament, as he showed time after time that he could beat his man to the basket, finishing through one, two and sometimes three defenders.

Although everyone knew he was a good player, the playoff spotlight gave Flynn the opportunity to display his repertoire, and despite his team’s expected early exit, he made a statement.

Flynn then received a dearth of awards, including AP First Team All-State, AP Washington Player of the Year Award, Tacoma News Tribune’s All-Area Player of the Year, 4A Narrows League MVP and a few others. Soon enough, Flynn was asked to bring his talent to WSU.

He gladly accepted the offer and followed the path of many of his family members to become a Cougar.

Flynn has already impressed, earning the starting point guard job as a freshman. Continuing his shooting mentality, Flynn continues to make shots from all over the floor. As a first-year college player, he said there is a distinct difference from running the floor for a high school team.

He recognizes the talent around him and has no problem passing the ball to his teammates. One of Flynn’s biggest highlights thus far was his fourth-quarter performance in the team’s win over the University of Washington on Jan. 1.

Flynn scored seven points in the final five minutes of the game, blowing past Crisp on pick-and-roll drives to the basket. This matchup was one all Western Washington hoop fans were waiting to see, and Flynn delivered the entertainment.

It was a big step forward for Flynn to perform at such a high level against the team’s oldest rival filled with players that he was originally never in the conversation with.