Reader Reactions: ‘Faculty may propose sanctuary campus’

Readers react to the WSU Faculty Senate discussing a proposal that would make WSU a sanctuary campus. The campus would then serve all students regardless of race, national origin or immigration status and would follow the Fourth Amendment, protecting students from unreasonable searches and seizures. The Senate cannot pass any motions that contradict national, state or local laws and will move the motion to the Steering Committee for a better legal opinion. The motion is a response to the student walk-out in December.

Andrew Stephenson: “This makes me proud to be a Coug. Maybe a little love and tolerance from Trump supporters could melt this snow away.”

Mario J. Vega: “Maybe instead of putting everyone’s education at risk, the illegals who go to WSU should have kept a low profile instead of flagrantly throwing their illegal status on camera and in everyone’s faces.”

Jean-Paul Strozewski: “Good for WSU. It’s sad people are worried about money over people’s livelihoods.”

Connor Scott: “Gonna be a real fun time for WSU, a land-grant university, when the Department of Education ceases to guarantee student loans for arbitrarily rising tuition rates and stops giving Pell Grants in response to the school’s unwillingness to cooperate with federal agencies. Can’t wait for tuition rates to plummet in response to people playing the market.”

Nichole Morgan: “They are average Cougs just like the rest of the Cougs on campus. They applied to attend school have to go to class, take exams, navigate expenses just like everyone else, they worked just as hard to get there they ought to be protected.”

Matthew Lewis: “Good on WSU. Makes me proud to be a Coug.”

RuthAnn Shepherd Henshaw: Go ahead, lose any federal grants and funding… make my day.”

Read the full story here.