Green Bikes are a valuable resource to students

An empty Green Bike station as seen on May 16. The software of the Green Bike docking stations is no longer supported by the company.

Anyone who has spent time on the WSU Pullman campus has likely run into the Green Bikes that the University’s Recreation Center (UREC) hosts.

Some students love them, some are impartial, but from what I have heard, most are glad the service is available.

Although Green Bikes aren’t always the most convenient, in terms of locations to pick up and drop off, having them available is a great resource that students use regularly.

Regardless of the flaws the bikes may have, they still serve a purpose and help our campus to reduce carbon emissions by encouraging biking as an alternative to driving a car on campus.

Jeff Elbracht, director of Facilities and Finance with UREC, explained how the bikes work and what is being done to bring the service back to its full capacity.

“We ran a pilot program in 2009, and the current system started on campus in 2010,” Elbracht wrote in an email.

One of the biggest complaints from consistent and occasional Green Bike users is that the bikes are big and bulky, which can be a burden when riding up and down the hills of Pullman.

“The main reason for the heavy bikes is durability,” Elbracht wrote. “Most rental bikes are heavier so that they can withstand the high usage and sometimes abuse. Systems that we have seen with lighter bikes typically have large maintenance issues.”

But those inconveniences might not matter in the long run — having the bikes available, without having a fee per use, is a huge blessing for many students who might not be able to bring or use a bicycle otherwise.

“The program has been extremely popular with students for over six years,” Elbracht wrote. “We are currently evaluating options for major upgrades, including the potential of a new partner which would greatly reduce out-of-service stations and increase system reliability.”

Recently, students have noticed some of the docking stations that used to be open, especially near central campus, are now out of service — a major inconvenience for the students who rely on this service.

They now have a hard time finding a place to return the bike or finding a bike to use in the first place.

Elbracht said the company that sold the bikes to UREC has experienced organizational changes since the purchase in 2010.

He also explained that these changes have caused technical support problems and difficulties getting replacement parts for the bikes.

“The current company no longer supports the software for the docking stations that we have,” he wrote. “We have been working with another vendor but still have serious limitations in the support provided and ability to keep stations operational.”

While this is an inconvenience now, in the long run this decision to upgrade is the best choice for our campus and for future Cougs.

I am more than happy to walk the hills if it means that a better system can come along to make bikes more accessible in the future.

It’s great that the university is attempting to upgrade the bike system we already have, considering the problems I saw early in the semester. Abuse was rampant, bikes were left all over campus and workers had to retrieve them.

These bikes are here for our benefit and are a privilege – not a right. We are a campus that strives to be eco-friendly, and the bikes are a great alternative to driving short distances.

Let’s, as a campus, be responsible and treat the Green Bikes with respect while they are still here; or who knows — they might be gone before we know it.

Alexander Davis is a freshman neuroscience major from Kennewick. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.