Beasley presents Trevor Noah for student audiences

COURTESY OF LEO UDY

Trevor Noah is the host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Trevor Noah, host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central, will perform stand-up for Dad’s Weekend.

Noah has a unique story that interests many people, Beasley Coliseum Director Leo Udy said. Noah is from South Africa, which has a very different culture than the United States, and eople find Noah interesting and are drawn to him, he said.

“There’s a lot of things we take for granted in the United States,” Udy said. “We think (things are) routine and everyone should know about them, but it’s not true for people not from our country.”

Noah’s performance is a chance to see him someplace other than on the television, Udy said. Noah will have done his research on WSU and be able to relate his jokes to WSU and its students.

Although Noah will perform for Dad’s Weekend, the event isn’t specifically for dads. Most dads aren’t in town until late tonight, Udy said, so Beasley doesn’t expect a lot of dads, but it can be entertaining for dads.

“We’ve swung toward the younger audience, or student-motivated entertainment,” Udy said.

Since WSU joined the Pac-12, Udy said it’s safer to schedule the Beasley Dad’s Weekend event for Friday instead of Saturday to make sure there is no conflict of schedules with the football game, as the school does not learn the time of the game until the week before.

“It’s an important tradition to keep going,” Udy said.

To find performers to come to WSU, Udy looks at what is currently popular with students. Once he does some research into whom other universities are booking for events, Udy makes a list of prospects and sends out an email to those on the list. He said there was a positive response for Noah, so Udy booked him for Dad’s Weekend.

“A lot of thought and research goes into everybody that comes to Pullman because it’s not the easiest place to get someone to come to for one and you just try to get someone that people want to come see.”

Although Udy is unaware of what Noah will perform, he expects that Noah will do his own research and perform content that is relevant to students, as well as similar comedy to what’s on his show, and his own personal stories.

“It’s four days before the election so you know there’s going to be some political stuff,” Udy said.

Trevor Noah will perform at 7 p.m. tonight at Beasley Coliseum.