Reader reactions: ‘The pedestrian dilemma’

Readers react to a WSU Transportation Services plan to “pedestrianize” the university’s Pullman campus. Long-term development plans will push parking and vehicle access to the outskirts of campus. Bollards placed at entrances to the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall and Library Road are part of the plan to stop drivers from cutting through campus in an effort to ensure pedestrian safety. According to Transportation Services Director John Shaheen, there is an overall surplus of parking, but it is located on the east side of campus. According to the Master Plan, building parking garages on campus is 10 times more expensive to build and maintain than parking lots.

Read the full article here.

Becca Long: “What about employees of WSU? They need parking too!”

Courtney Larson: “If they take away parking, they need to add parking, can’t keep accepting 30,000 new students and not expect some of them to bring their cars.”

Edoardo Franco Vianelli: “It doesn’t make sense to keep removing parking spaces and expect students to use alternatives when the bus system is so inefficient.”

Glen Cunnington: “The only people who need to be driving to class are the ones who live past apartment land and the disabled. Other than that, take the bus or walk. I thought all y’all wanted to be green, what happened to that?”

Aidan Terry: “If anyone looks at the building master plan for campus they should know nearly all of central campus will be car and road free, creating extremely limited access to vehicles to inner campus. I vote two more large parking garages at least.”

Carol Fors Miller: “Both of my kids had an issue with class time ending on the main campus and needing to be at a lab at Steffen Center in 10 minutes. A car was the only way. That circumstance is the only time a vehicle was needed. A better designed schedule and a thought-out school campus transportation system would have helped a lot.”

Editor’s note: The comments used in reader reactions are selected from public responses to stories on The Daily Evergreen’s Facebook page. The names listed with the comments are those provided as the individual’s identity on Facebook.