School of Music showcases vocal ensembles

The Vocal Extravaganza is a tradition to celebrate Dad’s Weekend at WSU.

For the 31st year, the WSU School of Music will showcase their choral ensembles. The five ensembles will feature a variety of short performances by the tenor and bass choir, concert choir, madrigal singers, treble choir and opera workshop.

Historically, this event has appealed to visiting families and WSU students, music professor and music coordinator Lori Wiest said.

“It is a great opportunity for students here to see what we do, maybe they’re interested in joining next semester,” she said.

Wiest said the event is all about celebrating the music and showcasing the students’ talent and hard work.

The directors of each ensemble select the material performed, Wiest directs the madrigal singers and concert choir. This year, the madrigal singers will showcase the portrayal of women in poetry from the Renaissance period during their performance.

“Whether they’re revered or the point of affection, we sing about women in each one of our pieces,” Wiest said.

Each composition performed by the ensembles will tell a relatable tale, Wiest said.

“The students have been practicing tirelessly and are eager to do what they love: to perform for their fans and families,” she said.

This year’s Vocal Extravaganza will be held at 8 p.m. on Friday in Bryan Hall Theatre. The music students will sell baked goods during intermission, Wiest said. Tickets are $10 for general admission, $5 for seniors and students with ID, and free for children 12 and under. The proceeds will go toward student ensemble performances, music, productions, tours and any other place of need.