KZUU hosts Disturbia to fund raise for Kazzufest

A student attended Disturbia, an electronic music event, dressed as EDM artist, Marshmello.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”82588ab4-9f13-11e6-99f0-0ff17b668c9e”}}

In costume and ready to party, WSU students helped a local radio station raise money for the upcoming Kazzufest, taking place next April.

Disturbia, organized by Friends of KZUU, took place yesterday at Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity. Part of the Bassfest series, Disturbia featured artists OFFWHITE, DJ YSHII, Saffron City, Rooibos and Cats & Pajamas. The show also sported its own Snapchat filter, encouraging guests to take pictures as well. Friends of KZUU work with KZUU 90.7FM, the noncommercial radio station at WSU, to organize events and fundraisers.

The Bassfest series has been running for four years and strives to showcase electronic ax and underground electronic music, said Mikayla Ketner, KZUU festival director and president of Friends of KZUU. For the Bassfest series, Friends of KZUU team up with fraternities to host these shows.

Fraternities tend to have bigger spaces than the venues normally available to Friends of KZUU, so they make better venues for hosting large events like Disturbia, Ketner explained. Phi Kappa Sigma had the biggest dance floor, which seemed fitting for Disturbia.

After contacting JT Alberts, social chair of Phi Kappa Sigma, Ketner worked with Alberts to make sure everything went according to plan. Setting up everything the day of the event caused the most stress because each group had their own expectations for Disturbia, Ketner said. Although it was challenging to meet everyone’s needs, hearing the music and seeing people coming out to support local DJs is the most exciting part, she said.

Alberts, a sophomore majoring in business, decided to host Disturbia because it sounded like fun, he said. Having a radio station DJ at his fraternity and being able to brag about that for the next year is the best part, Alberts said.

“Making sure nobody goes through our walls and making sure the house stays safe is the most challenging,” Alberts said. “It can get pretty crazy around Halloween.”

Miguel Tenorio, or DJ YSHII, works for KZUU and typically performs for friends. He said it doesn’t matter to him where he plays, as long as everyone has fun. Reading the crowd can be difficult, but seeing that everyone is grooving along with the music and having a good time makes it great, he said. Tenorio prefers funk music in general, including soul funk and bass.

Disturbia offered a discounted price for attendees in costume, and all proceeds will go toward the upcoming Kazzufest. Friends of KZUU host events every month, information can be found on Kazzufest’s Facebook page.