Bi-annual Book Bash features wide variety of titles

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”2dd3dda0-890a-11e6-8b83-b36adbb20a87″}}

Cerissa Harper, secretary of the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies (CCGRS), hopes to give used books a new life.

Two years ago, Harper was organizing the CCGRS library and realized they had hundreds of books that they didn’t need.

“I did not have the heart to throw them away or recycle them,” Harper said.

Harper thought that maybe giving away the books for free would allow CCGRS to find the books new homes where they can be used well.

“Books are an incredibly important source of knowledge, and these days with everything being made digital or online, I think a lot of people assume that no one wants paper books anymore, but our event has proved exactly to the contrary.” Harper said.

The CCGRS staff sets up tables on the Glenn Terrell Mall for the students to pick up books as they pass by.

“It was an absolute smashing success,” Harper said. “Each and every semester, we have given away hundreds, sometimes nearly a thousand, books in less than two hours.”

Due to the initial success of the event, CCGRS accepts donations from other departments, students and faculty to broaden the subjects and stock of books to be given away.

“They can donate to this event if they have books of any kind,” Harper said. “We’ve managed to successfully give away books on just about every subject imaginable.”

This semester’s Book Bash will feature the widest variety of books CCGRS has ever seen, as the Latah County Library donated all of the leftover books from their book sale. Latah County Library has thousands of books, Harper said.

“People still do love and want books,” Harper said.

The bi-annual CCGRS Book Bash will take place from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 5 on the Glenn Terrell Mall.