Jazz concert reflects insomnia through conflicting sounds

Ranging from traditional to contemporary, the upcoming jazz concert offers a variety of tunes for its audience, including a piece composed by a WSU graduate student.

Alison Poteracke, student composer and director of Jazz II, began composing music five years ago. Exposed to jazz from a young age, Poteracke began playing in the third grade. Her showcased piece, titled “Insomnia,” was written more than a year ago and revised when she started attending WSU. “Insomnia” will be performed tomorrow by the Jazz I band.

“It’s supposed to be about my lack of sleep,” Poteracke said. “When you’re trying to fall asleep, and there’s all of these things going around in your head so you can’t.”

The music reflects that concept through the competing sounds during the performance, Poteracke explained. At one point, it divides up into three distinct parts with different rhythms, and on top of all of the conflicting sounds, a lone piano then plays a melody.

Aside from Poteracke’s piece, the concert also includes two contemporary songs by Bill Holman, compositions by WSU Professor Greg Yasinitsky, a tune by Billy Strayhorn, and Duke Ellington’s “Caravan.” Jazz II will perform mostly traditional jazz, while the Jazz I will play a lot of contemporary pieces, Poteracke said.

“There’s (going to be) some stuff that people can dance to,” Poteracke said. “It’s going to be a really fun show.”

Choosing songs that challenge yet remain accessible to the band became tricky, Poteracke said. In general, the challenge was picking music that truly embodies jazz. It is an ever-changing genre that both connects to the past and leads into the future, Poteracke said.

Kevin Parmley, drummer and junior music major, began jazz in high school after some encouragement from his eighth-grade teacher. Before playing in Jazz II, Parmley spent his freshman and sophomore year in vocal jazz. His personal favorite from this concert is “After You’ve Gone” by Bill Holman because of its fast-paced rhythm.

Parmley spent a great deal of time practicing to perfection. Using resources like YouTube or recording himself playing, Parmley works out the flaws in his own performance. As a drummer, he sets the band’s rhythm, which requires complete accuracy or the band will get thrown offbeat. Making sure everyone feels good about a song is the hardest part, Parmley said.

Professor Brian Ward, director of Jazz I and area coordinator of jazz studies, first began his music career in high school, where he auditioned for the band. After first studying classical music, Ward found his passion in jazz.

At WSU, concert planning takes place during the preceding year, when the School of Music plans their calendar. By August, it gets entirely filled up with concerts and recitals, Ward explained. Jazz concerts typically take place around early October, mid-February, and late spring, while the Jazz Festival takes place early November.

This concert, after much planning, will strive to delight its audience through the musical variety, featured soloists and performance of multiple styles of jazz, Ward said. The jazz concert will take place at 8 p.m. on Tuesday in Kimbrough Concert Hall. Admission is free.