Guest column: WSU is a place of inclusion, not exclusion

Gavin Pielow, president of the Young Democrats, tables in support of Joe Pakootas, a Democratic candidate running to represent Washington’s fifth Congressional district. 

The Young Democrats of WSU convene this fall semester with a critical election just around the corner.

Most of the Young Democrats, including myself, actually caucused in the name of Bernie Sanders. Though we remain inspired by Bernie’s unparalleled integrity and benevolent idealism, it’s not to say we are by any means ambivalent about our choice this November.

This election cannot afford apathy by Democrats nor can it afford risking implausible candidates. We must be pragmatic with our expectations of this election.

We have two options:

We can continue the progress the current administration has endeavored dearly, we can continue Bernie’s message on creating a country that works for all Americans, and not just the few, and we can celebrate proof that ambition to the highest office in the land isn’t limited by gender.

Or, we can reverse the American Dream. The American Dream in which the country welcomes the world’s worst-off citizens with open doors and equal opportunity. The American Dream in which America is a place of inclusion and not a place which people are banned from entering on the basis of their faith.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign sustains the best solution to the foremost important political issue to the students of WSU and, in fact, college students everywhere.

That, of course, being college debt. Under a Hillary Clinton presidency, by 2021, students from families making less than $125 thousand a year will leave college debt free.

That’s incredibly essential for fostering a competitive labor force in an increasing globalized world, alleviating the burden of impoverished upbringings, and reasserting the United States as the land of opportunity for everyone and not just those already born into fortune.

My fellow college students should be alarmed that Donald Trump, on the other hand, suggests the solution to the student loan debt crisis is leaving student loans to for-profit banks and has personally scammed students through Trump University – now defunct from a multitude of lawsuits.

This is the same candidate that denies the overwhelming scientific evidence of global warming and sincerely believes vaccines cause autism.

However, as much as this presidential election can’t afford Democrats to stay home on election day, it can’t afford voters to neglect congressional or local elections either.

This generation of college students is distinctively and disproportionately progressive – it should be great news for Cougars in Pullman to learn that this Congressional district’s Democratic candidate is one of the nationally top ranked progressives running for office this November.

Joe Pakootas – the man that introduced Bernie at his Spokane rally and the Congressional candidate whom I personally interned for – is tremendously qualified. Notably, to help give the White House a Congress that actually wants to better the nation instead of merely impeding every effort at compromise.

Joe Pakootas is passionate in his aims to secure universal healthcare, expand college affordability, strengthen our pursuit of renewable energy, and to finally instill campaign finance reform.

WSU has opened its doors for students outside the state and outside the country. This is a place of inclusion, not exclusion.

It stands to reason that there is no place for the Trump Wall to be erected on our campus.

The Young Democrats of WSU will be protesting the deplorable demonstration of the Trump Wall and will be proudly conducting a series of debates against the College Republicans.

Fellow college students, you’re adults now and that means not sitting aside while others dictate decisions for you. That means voting is much more than a right: Voting is a responsibility.