WSU alum Matt Estes presents “Behind the Magic at Disney”

Matt Estes is the executive director of enterprise and architecture for The Walt Disney Co.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”08e1c774-7fae-11e6-99a9-9b8140bd114f”}}

From an aspiring rock star to a high-end job with Disney, Matt Estes, executive director of enterprise and architecture for The Walt Disney Co. and WSU alumni, explains how each dramatic shift in his life led him to Disney. In his presentation “Behind the Magic at Disney,” he focuses on how students can carve their own path in a similar direction with a professional internship or career.

Estes grew up in Bothel, Washington, and graduated from WSU in 1992 with a bachelor’s in music performance, theory and composition. Throughout his academic and professional career, he changed from one passion to another.

Lisa Laughter, academic advisor and professional development coordinator, is a member of the planning committee partnered with other colleges to bring representatives to campus.

“I like collaboration across colleges and units that can benefit the greatest number of students,” Laughter said. “I want people to think about their options earlier in their academic career, so they have time to think about internships.”

Disney creates magic through technology, and any involvement with them means that you are creating something that will go beyond your lifetime, Estes said.

“We’re so limited in our thinking of all the possible options, and there’s a lot of opportunities for professional internships,” Laughter said. “Just expanding your options in general is a good thing.”

Judy Hopkins, internship coordinator, initially connected with Estes to bring him to WSU, and she encourages students to pursue these types of ventures in their academic career.

“(Disney) is about creating incredible opportunities for people,” Hopkins said. “Embrace the process and know that every different component in the steps that are taken in your professional progression lead to more opportunities on the other side.”

A coffee hour meet-and-greet with Estes will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. today in Goertzen 24, where students have the chance to ask questions or introduce themselves.