Supporting diverse diets

Vegan options provided by WSU Dining Services offer more variety for vegans and vegetarians as well as students without dietary constraints.

Veganism is one of the fastest growing diet trends in America, according to Food Navigator USA.

Even for students who don’t want to go full vegan, vegetarian options are quite popular at WSU.

Alice Ma, a WSU Dining Services dietitian, said she gets a lot of requests for vegan options.

Ma pointed out that it is not only vegans who want vegan options, but also students who want to incorporate more plant-based options into their diets.

Many students choose vegan options because it’s an easy way to get healthy, because of ethical reasons, or because they want to eat sustainably, Ma said.

With demand for more vegan choices growing, Associate Director of Dining Services Sarah Larson says that Dining wants to meet everybody’s needs.

“Nutrition, allergens, vegetarian and vegan options are all taken into account,” Larson said. “We try to respond to trends and student feedback.”

Even if you don’t have dietary constraints, diversity in dining options proves that dining halls at WSU are not typical school cafeterias.

The process that’s creating these new options, known as the test kitchen, is how Dining Services tests the waters on all manner of dishes, whether a new recipe for boiled ham or a veggie burger.

Due to requests from students calling for more options, Dining Services plans to conduct year-round test kitchens and other methods to hear students’ comments on meals.

“Everything we do is student-driven,” said Adam Koerner, WSU Assistant Director of Culinary Operations. “I might make something that I think is the best thing since sliced bread, but it’s not about my ego – it’s about the students.”

Koerner recently attended a conference on how to integrate plant-based options.

“One item could change a food to vegan,” Koerner said, adding that simple substitution is an easy way to achieve the end.

Koerner said that many students also request the ability to customize their dish. Customizability makes it easier for dining halls to work with dietary constraints as well as individual preference.

He also said vegetarian and vegan options are on the priority list for new foods and Dining Services is encouraging experimentation and new ideas.

“We want to let (the chefs) be creative,” Koerner said. “Our clientele forces change, which is great.”

The new vegan and vegetarian options are evidence that the process works. Students demanded it, and students are getting it. This is exactly how dining services are supposed to work.

Providing vegan options isn’t difficult and it fulfills many students’ needs. For those of us who aren’t vegan, it supports variety without diminishing the options already offered.

As all first-year students are required to buy meal plans for dining halls, it’s good to know Dining Services provides a variety of food for students with all diets – even carnivores.

Harrison Conner is a junior economics major from Stanwood. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.