‘A Woman’s Love and Life’ features gendered themes

COURTESY OF JULIE ANNE WIECK

Classically-trained soprano, Julie Anne Wieck, will perform accompanied by Karen Savage on Tuesday evening at Bryan Hall.

Often confused for opera, classically-trained singing is a technical method of voice performance that will be presented tomorrow by two of WSU’s music faculty.

WSU associate professor of music and classically-trained soprano Julie Anne Wieck will perform multiple song cycles in a recital accompanied by WSU associate professor of piano Karen Savage, according to the WSU website.

Named after the first song cycle of the recital, “A Woman’s Love and Life” is unique because it is told through a woman’s point of view, even though it was written in the 1800s. Usually, female performers have to switch the gender in compositions from this time period, but this is one of the few occasions it isn’t necessary, Wieck said.

“A Woman’s Love and Life,” or “Frauenliebe und Leben,” is from the romantic period, derived from the poems of Adelbert von Chamisso and composed into art song by Robert Schumann, a German composer. The version that will be performed is the English translation.

“It’s universal,” Wieck said. “(The composer) has a wonderful way of including interludes … at the beginning of songs and at the end to tie things together. So in the voice, when they’re not singing, it’s the piano telling the story.”

For each art song, or a moment in time within a song cycle, Wieck makes a personal connection to evoke the sentiments needed to perform the piece. Even if the connection isn’t exact, it allows for expression in the performance.

“It comes down to human emotions,” Wieck said. “It was a male poet and a male composer that wrote these songs, they didn’t give childbirth, they didn’t have a baby, but they could relate to that joy of anticipating having a child and then the pain of losing someone.”

For each recital, Wieck chooses a theme, and this year it is love. Wieck said she found song cycles that reflect the theme of love and fit well together. Wieck chose song cycles from the romantic period, as well as contemporary pieces to make for a cohesive theme throughout the night.

While Wieck sings, Savage will accompany her on the piano. This is the first time that they have performed a full recital together but, as professionally trained musicians, the adjustment was not difficult, Savage said.

“She gives a lot of thought into the way that she programs,” Savage said. “It’s interesting to see how different composers come toward (the theme).”

“A Woman’s Love and Life” featuring Julie Anne Wieck and Karen Savage will be at 8 p.m. tomorrow at Bryan Hall Theatre. General admission is $10, seniors and students are $5 and WSU students are free.