Track and field sees many individual successes

Cougars traveled to Seattle and Texas to compete in the Matador Qualifier and the Last Chance College Elite this weekend

Then-sophomore+Mitch+Jacobson+clears+the+bar+in+the+high+jump+at+the+WSU+Indoor+Meet+January+19th+2019+at+the+Indoor+Practice+Facility.+

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-sophomore Mitch Jacobson clears the bar in the high jump at the WSU Indoor Meet January 19th 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

JAN RAC, Evergreen reporter

The WSU men and women’s track and field squads traveled this weekend to Texas and Seattle. They competed in the Matador Qualifier at the Sports Performance Center in Lubbock, Texas, and the Last Chance College Elite at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.

Leading the Cougar squad in Lubbock was sophomore Charisma Taylor. She won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.19 seconds. That mark set the WSU women’s track and field indoor record in the event.

Junior Kreete Verlin also excelled in the 60m hurdles as she received second place with a time of 8.30 seconds. She won the long jump with a jump of 20-5 1/4. Then in the 200-meter dash she finished in sixth place with a time of 24.85 seconds.

Freshman Leonie Reuter took home second place in the high jump with a jump of 5-11 1/4. Redshirt senior Stephanie Cho also took home a top-three finish with third place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.51 seconds.

The men’s side in Lubbock also had a solid showing despite not having any first-place finishers.

Senior Emmanuel “RayRay” Wells Jr. finished in second place in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.69 seconds.

Senior Sam Brixey also finished second in his event with a time of 7.78 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles.

Junior Jake Ulrich tied for second in the 400-meter dash with New Mexico Junior College freshman Victor Akhalu.

Junior Mitch Jacobson was a top performer in the high jump with a third-place finish. He jumped the same height as second-place finisher Trey Culver from team Adidas with a jump of 6-10 3/4.

The Cougars also had five first-place finishers at the Last Chance College Elite in Seattle.

Senior Jordyn Tucker finished in first place in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.49 seconds.

Juniors Emily Coombs and Luzia Herzig both finished in the top three in the pole vault with jumps of 12-10 1/4. Coombs finished in first and Herzig finished in third.

Junior Zorana Grujic took home two top-five finishes: second in the 800-meter with a time of 2:09.73 and fourth in the mile with a time of 4:43.91. Her time in the mile moved her up to second-place all-time in WSU women’s track and field history.

Redshirt freshman Faimale Sale threw 58-7 in the weight throw, taking home second place.

Redshirt senior Ja’Maun Charles took home first place in both events he ran in Seattle. He ran the 200-meter dash in 21.64 seconds and his time of 6.73 seconds in the 60-meter dash moved him up to eighth all-time in WSU men’s track and field history.

Senior Nick Johnson also took home first in his event. He finished with a time of 8.17 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles.

Sophomore Jacob Englar took home second place in the pole vault with a jump 16-1 3/4.

The Cougars will compete next in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championship on Friday and Saturday at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.