Why you should tip and say ‘thank you’

Eating out is one of America’s favorite past times, but not everyone seems to be versed in customer etiquette.

In my years of waiting tables and tending bar I’ve gathered plenty of horror stories, but I’ve also found that a key aspect to being an excellent customer is to make an attempt to show proper manners.

John Leonardson, a bartender at Etsi Bravo, said that when customers treat the wait staff as people rather than robots it makes serving them easier.

“A ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ goes a long way,” Leonardson said.

The restaurant staff is there to make your experience as a customer enjoyable and comfortable, but that doesn’t translate to taking them for granted.

Sella’s Calzone & Pizza server Haley Harris said “the best thing a customer can do is reply when you ask them how their day is and genuinely care.”

Mike Wagoner, owner of Zoe Coffee and Kitchen, said it helps when customers are patient and understanding.

“Things don’t always exactly go as planned,” Wagoner said. “Awesome people work here and they’re doing the best that they can.”

A great way to show your appreciation as a customer is to leave something for those who took care of you – a tip.

Not everyone is on board with tipping, but there is no excuse to leave a restaurant without giving your server a gratuity.

In fact, you should tip your wait staff even if you didn’t enjoy the meal – their tip is tied directly to minimum wage earnings and no one in this industry is rolling with a six-figure salary.

The Emily Post Institute provides information on etiquette for the modern world and has guidelines to make the entire tipping process less confusing: For sit down wait service, tip between 15 and 20 percent, pre-tax; for a buffet wait service, tip ten percent, pre-tax; and for your bartender, tip $1 – 2 per drink or 15 – 20 percent of the tab.

If you can’t afford a tip or simply prefer not to tip, do not go out to eat. It is cheaper to prepare meals at home and there are countless places to grab a bite that don’t call for tipping.

If you’re going out, however, plan for not only your meal, but also for an obligatory ‘thank you’ to your wait staff.

The bottom line is to be a respectful and responsible individual. Make sure you are aware of your actions and of the actions of those around you.

Say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ – and tip generously.

Tyler Delong is a senior communication major from Moses Lake. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.