Spokane day trip: Riverfront Park, the Flying Goat, Centennial Trail and more

The Pavilion and Great Northern Clocktower in Riverfront Park in Spokane. 

For Pullman residents, a day or weekend trip to Spokane is a popular summer pastime.

As the second biggest city in Washington, Spokane offers an urban feel similar to Seattle with cheaper attractions, more outdoor space, less traffic and shorter travel time.

One of the most popular spots in Spokane is Riverfront Park, a 100-acre park holding many of the city’s iconic landmarks, such as the Great Northern Clocktower and the Pavilion that held the 1974 World’s Fair, as well as farmers markets, amusement rides and other attractions to suit all ages.

The park also boasts beautiful views of the Spokane River — and the friendliest geese I have ever seen.

Children, dogs, musicians and peddlers move freely through the park’s shaded areas, making it a hub for locals and tourists alike.

There are countless places close by the riverfront to grab some coffee or a bite to eat, making an early Saturday morning at the park a great way to kick off your day trip before it gets too hot.

I had locally-sourced fresh fruit and delicious candied pecan coffeecake at the Post Street Ale House, which gets its baked goods from the historic Davenport Hotel’s bakery and is a short walk from the riverfront.

The Fountain Café is a closer option, located within Riverfront Park, specializing in sandwiches and other lunch foods mostly under $10.

The food isn’t astounding, but it is on the cheaper side and an easy way to fill up while you browse the farmers market and soak in the view.

For bikers and hikers, the Centennial Trail is a 37-mile paved path along the Spokane River that begins at the state line and ends at Nine Mile Falls with a center at Riverfront Park, a great option for those staying downtown.

The park’s sculpture walk, consisting of 21 sculptures including a dedication to the Spokane poet Sherman Alexie and the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial, is a less ambitious pathway for those who want a leisurely stroll.

As the day begins to heat up, a showing at the IMAX Theatre located within Riverfront Park is a great way to take a break from the sun.

With showings as early as 11 a.m. and as late as 5:15 p.m., the theatre boasts visually appealing films such as “D-Day: Normandy 1944,” “Everest” and “Lewis & Clark.”

The prices are lower than average, running at $6.50 for adults and $5.50 for kids.

For dinner options, I’d recommend a restaurant outside of downtown: The Flying Goat.

A casual eatery and pub located in the neighborhood of Audubon, the Goat specializes in Neapolitan style pizza and offers sandwiches, salads and desserts, as well as a kid- and vegetarian-friendly menu.

The pub is decorated with reclaimed wood and modern artwork, giving it more of a high-end look while maintaining a casual atmosphere as the neighborhood watering hole.

The Goat runs between $11 and $15 per pizza, which is pricier than Pullman’s own Porchlight Pizza, but provides unique pies to meet everyone’s taste.

My personal favorite was the Lacrosse, a light pizza consisting of an olive oil base rather than a sauce, topped with fresh mozzarella and basil, Italian sausage, red pepper preserves and shaved Parmesan cheese.

The Lacrosse packed simple but great taste without leaving you feeling bloated, and would easily suit vegetarian eaters with a simple request to the waiter.

My runner up pie would be the D Street, a unique pizza consisting of yellow coconut curry, chicken, potato, jalapeno, carrot, house cheese blend, cilantro, Sriracha sauce, and lime juice.

The D Street is a great option for those who prefer things a little spicy or are tired of the traditional red sauce.

On your way out of Spokane, consider stopping at River Park Square to get some much-needed shopping done before hopping on 195.

With more than 40 fashion, jewelry, home décor and specialty stores, River Park Square offers more variety than Moscow’s Palouse Mall and its glass façade makes the mall a beautiful place to shop and enjoy the AC.

Spokane is a town of endless possibilities, but for those just starting out, Riverfront Park and the surrounding downtown packs the most opportunities.

Plus, every tourist needs a picture of the Great Northern Clocktower and Pavilion in their scrapbooks or Instagram collage.

Alysen Boston is a senior communication major from Baltimore, Maryland. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.