Thrifty tourism: tips for spending less while traveling

Since the first of June, I’ve visited about a dozen cities, towns and suburbs on the East Coast of the U. S. Some of these dwellings are quaint, some extremely busy, but each is new to me and therefore interesting.

It’s often too easy for individuals to fall into the mundane daily routine or become complacent in familiarity. In today’s busy world, we are stuck in an exhausting whirlwind of work in which expectations slacken and we lose the ability to critically think and question.

This is why travel is so important and the reason that new places are fascinating. Getting out of your comfort zone throws routine to the wind. Tourism acts as an educational opportunity, whether actively sought or passively absorbed and can bolster sophistication and foster creativity. By stepping out of our comfort zones, we make associations and connections that broaden our horizons.

For many of us, the desire to travel is there, but we lack the means to do so. Luckily, there are endless possibilities when it comes to traveling for less.

First: Family.

Forbes reports that the average cost of a vacation in the United States is $1,145 to about $4,000. Obviously, some trips are more expensive than others, so make sure to talk to people who can help you out – your parents, your grandmother, grandfather, cousins or friends. The reality of tourism is that hotels and transportation are a pretty penny. Staying with family, friends, on a couch or the floor can save you more than 50 percent on your trip – at least it has in my experience.

Second: There’s an app for that.

Now, it does not necessarily have to be Groupon (featuring deals in the area), Waze (a community based travel app) or Airbnb (featuring vacation rentals for cheap), but find an app or website whose job it is to save you money.

Sushi on Staten Island for $10 a person … done; train to Philadelphia for the weekend … yes, please! Explore every site, app and newspaper or magazine. Find a way to nickel-and-dime your travels.

Four: Relax, no schedule needed.

Some of the greatest experiences happen in an instant without planning. Sure, the American Museum of National History has some great information and wonderful exhibits, but finding yourself at a spontaneous concert in Asbury Park or dancing on the boardwalk of Jersey is almost poetic.

Finally, be safe.

The world is large, start small if you have to, but travel with safety first. You might have seen New York City on your favorite TV drama or Times Square when the ball drops each year, but realize you’re not in a fantasy, nor just a concrete jungle full of bright lights and opportunity.

Just like any location in the world, there are people looking out for themselves and sometimes looking to actively make your life a little bit harder.

Traveling immerses you in a different environment entirely and with that comes different languages and cultures unlike your own. It’s crucial that individuals consider a world outside of themselves and their traditions, especially in a melting pot like the U.S.

Before you go out and make yourself a citizen of the world, do your research. Make your tourism count, and do so with others in mind.

Go to the places that speak to you, the places that relate to your lifestyle and life goals, but most importantly, be safe. Break the mold of your daily life, I promise you won’t regret it.

Tyler Delong is a senior communication major from Moses Lake. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of the Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.