“This is my Zen garden”: Zoe Coffeehouse & Pub boasts good food and environment since 2006

Two patrons enjoying a meal at Zoe Coffehouse & Pub on June 6, 2015. The coffee shop is a great place to meet up with friends.

Coffeehouses are home to many a brilliant mind, providing a haven for academics to exchange ideas and engage in friendly conversation.

In the small town of Pullman, on the easternmost edge of Washington state, one can still find a coffeehouse that provides such a culture and scholarly experience: Zoe Coffeehouse and Pub.

Founded in February 2006, Zoe Coffeehouse and Pub has served the community for more than 10 faithful years – a staple of the Pullman community and a necessity of the Coug family.

I frequented Zoe’s shortly after arriving at WSU my junior year and fell not only in love, but in lust. I’ve looked for a place like Zoe’s my entire educational career – a place to further knowledge, a place to delve into the socially and pedagogic unknown. Finally, I had found where I truly belonged.

My body ached for total immersion in the peace and serenity of Zoe’s in combination to the hustle and bustle of its customer base. Few places in this world move with equal parts fluidity, tranquility and constant activity than Zoe Coffeehouse & Pub, and I wanted nothing more than to bask in its prowess.

Nowhere in Pullman are there more substantial interactions or significant happenings than those in Zoe’s. I’ve overheard the dawn of multi-million dollar deals and shared in the excitement of potential business executives; I’ve observed budding affairs, relationships in full bloom, wilted lovers calling it off and spilling their emotions for better or for worse.

Gems and jewels are coveted because of their combination of rarity and beauty. Zoe’s is no different – a precious gem, a diamond in the rough of Eastern Washington.

Other coffeehouses in the region come close to meeting the beauty and sheen of Zoe’s, but they fall short in their service and luxury, of which Zoe’s has in spades.

Everyone needs a place to find themselves as they mature, develop and flourish; a place to nourish their interest and foster curiosity – this is my Zen garden … Pullman’s best kept secret.

I am a firm believer that half of education is environment. As such, there is no greater place to study than the most relaxing and fulfilling place on earth. I strongly encourage (if not a multiple-hour stay) at least a visit and a beverage, meal or both.

Sure there’s the traditional coffee and food experience, but at Zoe’s there is so much more. You’re not just getting a latte; you’re being transported to the tranquil purple lavender fields themselves. You’re not simply eating, but rather enjoying your over-easy brunch and savoring each morsel of your tartlet delicacy.

As an avid visitor, I realize how biased my opinion is: “Stylish and classy yet friendly to college pocketbooks? This place sounds too good to be true.”

Fair point, faithful reader, but note my endorsement – I encourage you to try it out for yourself. Feel free to get your expectations up, I promise you won’t be disappointed. Who knows, you, too might find enlightened minds, listen in on thoughtful conversation or be completely and utterly hooked … you’re welcome.

Tyler Delong is a senior communication major from Moses Lake. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.