How and why to get involved

When I first came to WSU, I knew I had to put myself out there to make the most of my time in Pullman. I joined the Student Entertainment Board, and participated in Gannon-Goldsworthy Hall Government.

I know, right? Such a freshman.

Though I had no trouble making friends during my first year here thanks to residence hall life and the infamous HD 205, eventually I decided it was time to join the ranks of a more substantial organization.

In the spring of 2014 – my sophomore year – I finally had decided on my journalism major and to work for The Daily Evergreen as a news reporter, after hearing good things about the paper.

A past classmate had gotten hired at our hometown paper from CWU’s student paper, and I thought, why not me?

Aside from providing a prime incubator for journalism skills, the Evergreen threw me into the newsroom full of generally like-minded people whose values aligned with mine.

It has given me a taste of journalistic autonomy, taught me to break out of my shell while reporting, and cleared the fog on my career path. All in all, the best foundation to my professional talents I could imagine at this point.

That is the magic of student groups, clubs and organizations. Whatever your interests, values or hobbies, there are people on campus with the same. Practicing them. You just have to find them.

It’s important to establish these relationships in college because, like your mom and high school teachers told you, college is where life-long friends are made, even who will potentially be helpful in establishing a career by providing advice and references.

The Evergreen, and the Office of Student Media as a whole, is unique in that we provide a service that, whether or not is appreciated, is necessary. How else would the student body know about the goings-on with their elected government?

We hold ourselves accountable for getting students information they need and when we flounder, we take the blame. The ethical practice involved in journalism has made me a better person, and reporting has led me to identify my own personal biases and eliminating them through thoughtful discussion with strangers.

The teamwork and leadership skills learned as an editor will be priceless for me my entire career, whether I go into news or accept the siren song of the corporate PR world.

The people running Student Media genuinely care, and have the time invested to prove it. Why else would we put out a paper every day, earning less than minimum wage?

So if your college life consists of class and bars, do yourself a favor and explore the different opportunities Pullman and WSU have for honing skills valuable to you.

I know that if I didn’t, I would have had a far less fulfilling time here at WSU. Thank you, The Daily Evergreen, for giving my time in Pullman purpose.