Cougars finish Pac-12 Championships in ninth

Senior Bhurinat Songpaiboon lines up a putt during the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate at Palouse Ridge Golf Course on Sept. 28.

The WSU men’s golf team struggled in the Pac-12 Men Golf Championship at the Country Club in Salt Lake City, Utah, finishing in ninth place, Sunday.

The Cougars finished 74 strokes behind tournament champion No. 4 Stanford, after shooting (+56, 1476). Stanford, who shot (-18, 14020) in the tournament, was unstoppable.

Stanford was the only team to shoot under-par. No. 13 California finished the tournament in second place after trailing Stanford by 29 strokes and shooting (+11, 1431). No. 10 Arizona State rounded out the top three after carding a (+19, 1439) in the tournament.

While the Cougars did not have the finish they were looking for, there was still strong individual play for the Cougars. In the third round, sophomore Zach Anderson tied the course record after carding a (-7, 64) Saturday.

With that impressive score, Anderson was able to jump 25 spots on the leaderboard Saturday and finished the tournament in 24th place.

Sophomore Derek Bayley concluded his solid sophomore season with yet another top-25 finish, placing tied for 19th after shooting (+4, 288). Bayley has finished in the top-25 more than any other Cougar this season.

Freshmen AJ Armstrong and Aaron Whalen both tied for 45th after shooting 15-over par with a tournament score of (299).

Junior Nick Mandell held onto the same spot in third round as well as the fourth round, finishing the tournament in 66th place. Mandell shot (+24, 308) in the final tournament of the year.

Senior Evan Omelia did not finish the tournament the way he wanted to close out his career at WSU. Omelia carded a (+28, 312) in the tournament, placing him in 70th place in his final tournament as a Cougar.

While the Cougars have had their fair share of ups and downs this season, the team is very young. With a lot of good talent coming back next season, the Cougars look to be a team to make a statement in the Pac-12 for years to come.

Reporting by Ryan Siefkes