Trump’s 10 year regression plan is not the best policy

Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally in Spokane on Saturday. 

If comic books taught me anything, it’s that with great power comes great responsibility.

With the fame of two bowl game victories and the fortune of a four-year university football coach – more than $2.5 million last year – Mike Leach’s power is far past the point of great.

Instead of utilizing his notoriety and his financial prowess for something substantial, Leach is endorsing an individual whose first policy position was to isolate the United States from Mexico with a wall, paid for by the Mexican government … need I say more?

The endorsement – given during a campaign rally in Spokane, Washington, on Saturday – consisted of an introduction from Leach praising Trump’s energy, curiosity and confidence, in addition to Leach regaling the audience with their years of comradery and their first encounter.

Frivolous banter among friends, family or teammates about political associations is one thing; with a platform as large as the state of Washington, however, Leach’s steadfast support for Trump cannot and should not be ignored.

Mike Leach represents Washington State University – in name, in spirit and most definitely in recognition – and with that responsibility comes accountability. Not just accountability to WSU, but also to individuals who associate with the university.

I’m referring to the LGBTQ members attending one of the top 36 LGBTQ-friendly universities for whom Trump would not allow same-sex marriage. I’m talking about strong, passionate, independent women who “The Donald” disregards with pity if they’re “no longer a 10.” I’m talking about the members of the Muslim Student Association for whom Trump has proposed a ban from entering the U.S.

I’m talking about a group of traditionally and socially liberal individuals in an institution of post-secondary education, whose fights go in vain should the White House brandish Trump’s draconian politics.

I realize that each citizen has the constitutional right to vote for whomever they wish, but I also understand that in order for true democracy (by the people and for the people), voters need to make an educated polling decision. Swaying votes for or against candidates through personality and presence without corroborated facts is merely celebrity idolization – nothing short of voting done wrong.

Toward the close of Leach’s ‘brief’ introduction, he focused on the Trump slogan: “Make America Great Again.”

I am not sure if Leach believes that a 10-year regression is the best policy for the country, if he simply did not know the direction of his speech or if appeasement finally got the better of him. Just in case the former two scenarios ring true, let me break down the major accomplishment of the country in the last 10 years.

In no order of importance: The U.S. elected the first black president; the first Latina Supreme Court Justice, Sonia Sotomayor; federal recognition of same-sex marriage; global interconnectivity through the World Wide Web; national healthcare, etc.

“The definition of insanity to me is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results,” Leach said. “So, if we like the last 10 years, and do the same thing, we’re going to get the same results.”

Marriage equality, gender equity, substantive social policy implications and health-centric globalization are all extremely positive social developments, Leach. It’s a shame that doing away with those benefits is the cornerstone of a presidential candidate, especially one who you endorsed.

It’s crucial in each election that voters educate themselves on candidate policy. In this election in particular (with a Supreme Court nomination looming on the horizon), the stakes are greatly increased.

Know your presidential candidates. Educate yourself on policies and, more importantly, policy implications. Be educated voters; do not rely on popularity and empty promises when you vote for the most powerful leadership position in the world.

Tyler Delong is a senior communication major from Moses Lake. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.