Cougars to resume conference play against USC

After a mid-week loss to Gonzaga, the Cougars aim to regain their energy against conference rival USC beginning Friday.

WSU (12-21, 5-10) fell 7-4 to the Bulldogs on Tuesday, despite holding a 3-2 lead heading into the sixth inning. But GU scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth and added two more in the seventh to earn the win.

“We just didn’t bring the same intensity that we did last weekend,” redshirt sophomore pitcher Damon Jones said Tuesday.

Head Coach Marty Lees saw his bullpen give up six of the seven runs scored by Gonzaga, with freshman left-hander Ryley Widell (1-2) giving up three runs. Against USC, who currently rank No.2 in hitting in the conference, the Cougars’ first-year coach expects change after a poor performance against GU.

“On the mound I was disappointed once again,” Lees said Tuesday of his bullpen. “We’re farther enough in the season that these young kids aren’t young anymore. They should be ready to go and they continue to do some of the same stuff. Free passes, leaving the balls on the wrong side of the plate.”

Offensively, the Cougars and Bulldogs matched hits at 10 apiece, but WSU left eight on base. Freshman catcher Ty Johnson and redshirt junior second baseman Trek Stemp combined for four hits, with sophomore third baseman Shane Matheny also tallying two hits.

Johnson, who’s hitting .348 in 16 games this season, noted the lack of energy and drastic different in the weekend series against Oregon State and their single game against Gonzaga.

“Honestly today we didn’t have the energy at all,” Johnson said Tuesday. “This weekend we felt like we were in every game and there competing mentally, physically the whole time. But tonight it seemed like a lull and we just have to get back out there confident this weekend, come ready as a team with positive attitude ready to work our asses off.”

The Cougars will have junior right-hander Ian Hamilton (1-7) starting on Friday against Trojans redshirt junior right-hander Joe Navilhon (3-3). Lees will start freshman right-hander Ryan Ward (1-1) against senior right-hander Kyle Davis (2-8) on Saturday.

Lees left his Sunday starter slot open with the Trojans starting sophomore right-hander Mitch Hart (0-1).

First pitch for WSU and USC is scheduled for 3 p.m. due to expected rain. Saturday is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. with the series finale set for 1 p.m.