Cougars come home for series against Arizona State

WSU has elected to go into its home series against Arizona State swinging, having scored two runs or less in eight games this season.

The Cougars (8-14, 1-5) haven’t fared well historically to the Sun Devils (14-9, 1-5), with ASU winning the last series at Bailey-Bryaton Field 2-1 in 2014. The Sun Devils hold a 51-11 all-time record against the Cougars dating back to 1973.

Thursday, freshman right-handed starting pitcher Ryan Ward (1-0) will get the start for WSU. Redshirt sophomore cater Stefan Van Horn admitted the Cougar pitching staff has not gotten enough credit for their output this season, which falls on the offense.

“It’s tough on our pitchers,” Van Horn said. “We made it harder on them, as well as ourselves always being in a hole. So coming out of the gate strong, just putting one run up on the board. Whether it’s a bunt or an error we just need one. I don’t think our pitchers get enough credit for the positions we put them in every single game. I think if our pitchers had a little more credit with what they’re doing it would help us out with the at bats.”

That emphasis from the offensive side to support was echoed by Head Coach Marty Lees during his Wednesday press conference.

With redshirt junior second baseman Trek Stemp continuing to advance his hitting streak, currently at nine games, and record a hit in all 20 of his starts, Lees wants his side to make the most when guys are on base.

“We like to do more things with our offense and put pressure on,” Lees said. “But we need the right scenario of kids to have on.”

Lees acknowledged his younger players have made strides, including freshman infielder Justin Harrer. The freshman short stop, who has been able used a platoon player at other positions, has settled down into his role in the infield and noted that having a couple of Pac-12 series’ under his belt helps going into ASU.

“This is my second series in the Pac-12 so really just adjusting to the pitching and playing on different fields,” Harrer said. “Adjusting to the pace of play. It’s a lot faster and every play counts. There can’t be one play that determines the outcome of the game, so you have to be in it 100 percent mentally all the time.”

Van Horn added the team is now in a swing mode mentality to erase the low run scoring games. The Cougars will display their new attacking offense beginning Thursday at 7:05 p.m. with live stats provided by WSUCougars.com.