Expand your horizons: attend this weekend’s jazz festival

From left to right, Graham Dechter, Katie Thiroux, Dave Hagelganz, Kevin Kanner, Vern Sielert and Josh Nelson (not pictured) perform Wednesday night at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival.

Band concerts — something you probably thought stopped happening after you graduated from high school.

What you may be surprised to find out is that one of the country’s largest collegiate jazz festivals takes place at the University of Idaho and is happening this Wednesday through Saturday.

Since 1967, the University of Idaho has been hosting the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, named after the late jazz musician.

It has established itself as one of the premiere jazz festivals, not only in the Northwest but in the nation, hosting groups ranging from elementary school all the way to professional musicians.

Local music and art is often taken for granted and this weekend’s festival would be a great opportunity to see some of the region’s best.

Both the annual Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival and the WSU School of Music’s performances are a great opportunity to see a seldom-recognized side of the collegiate experience.

When most people think about experiences in college, band concerts and jazz festivals are usually not the first thing to come to mind — but they should be.

This is a unique time to experience a greatly under-appreciated group of talented individuals who have committed vast amounts of time to perfecting an art and performance.

According to the event’s program, “the festival represents the first and only event within a public university to receive the National Medal of the Arts, our nation’s highest arts honor.”

Every year, this festival also gives an opportunity to thousands of students to show off their talent on a large stage and gives confidence to future generations of musicians.

Though many may not initially see jazz as their music of choice, experiencing it at a festival like Lionel Hampton may change your outlook.

According to an article published by the Spokesman-Review, the festival also offers opportunities to “learn the basics of everything from swing dancing to hip-hop to the vibraphone.”

Put simply, there is something for everyone this weekend on the University of Idaho campus and it is certainly worth the 10-minute trek across the border.

If you can’t make it out this weekend, the WSU School of Music offers dozens of concerts every month ranging from orchestra to brass quintets.

Though these concerts are offered almost every night of the week, many students do not know they are happening and many times these amazing musicians go unrecognized.

The WSU School of Music’s website offers a calendar of events, the majority of which are free to students. A great deal, considering professional concerts cost about as much to attend as a NFL game.

Much like the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, the WSU School of Music puts on a variety of different types of music making sure everyone can find one they enjoy or experience something new.

So, be it this weekend’s Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, or any of the events put on by the School of Music, make it a point to look to expand your horizons by recognizing student performers and artists and make attending some of these performances part of your college experience.