Men’s golf finishes 10th in Hawaii

Freshman Aaron Whalen hits the ball toward the green during a match during the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate at Palouse Ridge Golf Course on Sept. 28, 2015.

The WSU men’s golf team finished tied for 10th place at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate on Friday, finishing the tournament at 880 (+16).

The Cougars dropped six spots on the standings board from tied for fourth after the second round.

No. 7 Texas lead every round in the tournament and finished at (-20, 844). California finished at (-15, 84) and Texas A&M (-1, 863).

In-state rival Washington jumped up the standings and finished in fourth with (+3, 867).

Sophomore Derek Bayley played consist all tournament, finishing seventh individually, recording his fifth top-25 finish of the year. Bayley finished the tournament 2-under par at 214.

Freshman Aaron Whalen finished at (+3, 219), after shooting 3-over par in the final round. Whalen, who was tied for 32nd with three other golfers, finished 3 strokes ahead of junior Nick Mandell, who finished with (+6, 222) and tied for 44th.

Freshman Aj Armstrong tied for 57th (+10, 226) and sophomore Zach Anderson tied for 82nd after finishing at (+16, 232).

While the Cougars fell in the standings in the final round, the young talent is something to be excited about. “We had some great things happen, we just need to learn and grow from the week,” said WSU Head Coach Garrett Clegg via wsucougars.com.

The Cougars will have a chance to improve in their upcoming tournament in Bandon, Oregon for the Bandon Dunes Championships, March 6-8 at the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.

Reporting by Ryan Siefkes